1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HotRod19579, Jun 13, 2010.

1. HotRod19579

HotRod19579 AllStar

Jul 31, 2004
    I am considering moving from Dish over to DirectTV but I know nothing about the capabilities of the DirectTV HD DVRs. Can someone answer a few questions about some features that Dish offers which are important to me? Before switching I want to know how DirectTV handles these features:

- Does the HD DVR support an OTA connection? Can you record from OTA broadcasts?

- With Dish the OTA module has 2 tuners allowing me to record or watch to OTA programs at once. Can this be done with DirectTV?

- My Dish 922 receiver has two SAT tuners. Combined with the 2 OTA tuners, I can watch/record 4 programs at one time. What are DirectTV’s capabilities?

- Prior to upgrading to the Dish 922 receiver I had the ability to set times up with a feature called DishPass which allowed for partial name matches on program names. This feature is not supported by the 922. What are the options for setting timers with the DirectTV receiver?

- Does DirectTV offer any form of SLING support? Can you use one receiver to watch recorded or live TV from other TVs in the house? If so, how are the other TVs connected?

- How does the DirectTV receive connect to a home network? Does it use 802.11x, power plug or does it require a wired network connection?

- I thought I read somewhere that if you had multiple DirectTV HD DVR receivers that they would somehow operate as one allowing recorded events on one DVR to be viewed from TV connected to a 2nd DVR. Do these kind of capabilities exist?

- I have a programmable remote (MX-850), does the DirectTV have discrete codes for buttons such as power-on and power-off?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes. The HR20 has OTA tuners built in. The rest you can get a separate OTA tuner box the AM21. You have 2 OTA tuners either way.

You can record 2 of any combination. Are you sure the 922 can do 4? That's news to me.

Not quite sure what DishPass is but DirecTV has full "season pass" support just like a Tivo and pretty much any other DVR and can autorecord based on search criteria. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

If you have a Sling box, sure. It's not built in.

Not really. You can do a coax out to another TV but it will be the same output as the main TV.

Standard Ethernet of via DECA coax (with wired Ethernet plugged in somewhere) if you get the most recent hardware.

Yes, MRV is here and was just released to the public in the past couple weeks. All DVRs/receivers on the network can access recorded programs on any of the receivers.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    - Does the HD DVR support an OTA connection? Can you record from OTA broadcasts?

Yes, with either an HR20 DVR or any later HR2x with an AM-21 added on.

- With Dish the OTA module has 2 tuners allowing me to record or watch to OTA programs at once. Can this be done with DirectTV?

- My Dish 922 receiver has two SAT tuners. Combined with the 2 OTA tuners, I can watch/record 4 programs at one time. What are DirectTV’s capabilities?

You can have one OTA and two SAT feeds at once, and record any combination of the two. I'm not sure but I think you can record two SAT and view an OTA? Someone else can confirm this.

- Prior to upgrading to the Dish 922 receiver I had the ability to set times up with a feature called DishPass which allowed for partial name matches on program names. This feature is not supported by the 922. What are the options for setting timers with the DirectTV receiver?

You can use boolean search operators with DirecTV as well.

- Does DirectTV offer any form of SLING support? Can you use one receiver to watch recorded or live TV from other TVs in the house? If so, how are the other TVs connected?

MRV was just released which allows you to share content from DVR to other receivers (DVR or HD receivers) over the existing coax in your home. You can attach a slingbox but it's not built-in like with the new Dish DVR.

- How does the DirectTV receive connect to a home network? Does it use 802.11x, power plug or does it require a wired network connection?

You can do wired ethernet, wireless ethernet, or go with the new DECA system which works extremely well and should come free or discounted with you initial install.

- I thought I read somewhere that if you had multiple DirectTV HD DVR receivers that they would somehow operate as one allowing recorded events on one DVR to be viewed from TV connected to a 2nd DVR. Do these kind of capabilities exist?

Same as above.

- I have a programmable remote (MX-850), does the DirectTV have discrete codes for buttons such as power-on and power-off?

I believe so. I use a Harmony One and it works great. I can't imagine other intelligent remotes are much different.

Good luck to you!

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Note that you can record two programs and watch a third prerecorded program. I don't think you can watch a third live program.

5. HotRod19579

HotRod19579 AllStar

Jul 31, 2004
    Thanks for the input. Seriously thinking of switching. Yes, the 922 has SLING built in and will allow you to record 4 programs at once or watch live and record 3 others.

I wasn't clear on how 2 of the HR2x receivers can share recorded programs. If both are connected to a home network they will share over the network? Or do they need to be cabled together? Although I might loose the ability to record 4 programs, having 2 receivers (which I will have) that are capable of sharing DVR events would overcome that. The 2 DVRs will share HD recorded events?

So, when I call up to talk with a CSR to switch, what specifically do I need to ask for?
    - Obviously 2 HD receivers with DVR capability. What is the better receiver?

- The receivers come with the OTA receiver or is it an add-on that you must request? With Dish it is an extra module that you must purchase.

- The Dish receivers have the power plug networking built in. Does the HR2x series of DVRs have wireless or power plug built in or do you have to purchase a separate device and wire (ethernet) the receiver?

- Tivo capabilities is built in to the receiver correct?

6. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Think that answers your questions...

7. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Make sure you get HR24s or your going to hate the slow down!

Also you are not going to be able to record 4 streams on one DVR with DirecTV. You can get an OTA module to add OTA but still only record 2 at a time.

Also the IR and RF remote is one or the other unlike Dish where both are active. That really screws with your ability to use a sling box if you want to your RF remotes.

Again - if you get HR20,21,22,23s you're not going to like the speed.

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If you get two HD DVRs you will be able to record 4 things at once, 2 on each DVR. With the MRV/Whole Home DVR the two will have a shared playlist so it's easy to watch programs from both and you might not even know which one it was recorded on.

9. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    One thing not mentioned is that DirecTV does not support the very common one-box-for-two-TVs "Duo" feature of Dish. With DirecTV you need one box for each TV.

This might not affect you but it's often the source of incorrect assumptions.

Keith

10. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    If they are both HR24s you may not even know which one it was recorded on.... If they are 2 HR22s you will know because trick play will be weird and there will be a 4 -10 second delay (not always the same delay but always a delay) when you start a remote recording making you wonder if you need to hit the button again.

Go HR24s or you'll wish you had. To don't fall for the 'the next software update will fix it' bull. The HR21, 22, 23 and the HR20s to a lesser degree have performance troubles that you don't want to deal with as a new sub. Just a little friendly advice from a former Dish Network sub that has been fighting with the HR troubles from day 1. Even the HR24 is not as fast as my old Dish 622 receiver but you probably won’t notice unless you have them side-by-side. I won’t go through all the troubles here but if you look through the forums you’ll see what I’m talking about.

If the person that takes your install order says they can guarantee you’ll get HR24s or they say something like they’ll put it in the notes that you need HR24s don’t believe it. You need to be prepared to send the installer packing if they show up with something other than HR24s. DirecTV’s system is so out of whack that you can’t order a specific DVR. You get whatever the installer happens to have – could be new or used HR20/21/22/23 or 24s. Once you sign the install is done you’re stuck with paying another $200 for each HR24 that you need. Don’t do it!

Do you get the idea that I feel strongly about this?:D

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    One thing I didn't see mentioned, a PC on the same local network as the HR2X can use DirecTV2PC software to view recorded content. It's not like Sling where you can take over control of the DVR, only view something that's already recorded.

12. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I believe that both HDMI and component outputs are active on the HD DVRs at the same time. You could conceivably connect one TV via HDMI and another via Component. You can't watch different shows on the different outputs (which I believe the poster copied above is referring to), but it's an option if you're not watching both TVs at the same time, or don't care if the same channel is on both outputs.

13. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Of course, but the whole point of the Dish Duo system is independent control of two TVs from one box. It's one of their biggest selling points and very commonly done. It goes along with the widely held but seldom stated perception/reality that Dish tends more toward lower-end installations.

I just didn't want the OP making the also-common incorrect assumption that DirecTV also has that feature.

Keith

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as one of the tv's is standard def that works fine. Personally I think the 2 tv setup from Dish is complete and utter crap, the TV2 PQ is lousy using modulated RF...