1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

thinking of switching to direct

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jesse1684, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 #1 of 16
    jesse1684

jesse1684 Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I have brighthouse but i was loundering if it is worth switching

2. May 9, 2013 #2 of 16
    PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Call and see what they offer, new subs can get a good deal. If PQ is inportant Directv is one of the best, they dont overcompress as much as most providers. There DVR is much better than Brighthouse has in our area. My daughters boyfrend has Brighthouse and said there DVR is slower than directv( likes our setup better ) and that thd guide dose not go out as far in days as Directv. Hope this helps.

3. May 9, 2013 #3 of 16
    mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I used to loathe cable companies DVR's due to the unintuitive nature of them. I had a TiVo for years with Charter because of it. I switched to DirecTV in September of last year and had originally planned on getting the TiVo DVR again. Luckily the installer showed up with the wrong one as the DVR DirecTV provides is very nice and intuitive. It's better than the TiVo I used for years on cable. Like PCambell mentioned, call them. Last I heard they were throwing in NFLST for free again this year. A month or so ago they had that and MLBEI for free. Good luck and I hope you enjoy DirecTV as much as I have since I switched if you decide to.

4. May 9, 2013 #4 of 16
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    It's only worth what it's worth to you. Depends on programming you watch and what all features you would like to have. Are you hoping to have more options than you currently have or are you just looking to try something new?

5. May 9, 2013 #5 of 16
    jesse1684

jesse1684 Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    More options and better dvr

6. May 9, 2013 #6 of 16
    rd76

rd76 New Member

Sep 15, 2007
    The bottom line is the most important. Play the game and get your best deal. Do your homework a search the net for every discount before you call. My son just signed up for dtv and is less then 30 for the first year, free genie, free nfl, AAA, HD,etc. I enjoy my 10 too. As far as the dvr both dish and dtv are great. If you like football NFL ticket is great..Sling is great on DISH as I use it everywhere....Like I said do your homework and make a list...Read, Read for all your discounts as you only get one chance...Think of every room you might need in the future and do it up front....Think

7. May 9, 2013 #7 of 16
    Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    you may wanna check out directv.com and check out the offers they have. weight your options :)

8. May 9, 2013 #8 of 16
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    How about the Genie?

9. May 9, 2013 #9 of 16
    rd76

rd76 New Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Genie is no different then any other. It has 5 tuners but you can build one from a few other DVR's connected with multi room. It's nothing special. A hopper is good too. It all depends on how much you sit on the couch all day.....I'd switch to Dish in a second if the price was lower per month.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can't get exactly something like a Genie by using three separate DVRs. You have to manage them separately, since one DVR cannot see the todo list, series manager or history of another. Of course there are other features that are not available on any other DVR DirecTV offers. So I would have to disagree that it's no different.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is a HUGE difference….

12. jesse1684

jesse1684 Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    But you can't record from different rooms you have to go where the dvr are is with brighthouse and they charge me alot of money for 2 dvr and they have no full screen hd guide

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    On Directv, you can't set a recording on one DVR from another. You can from a receiver, genie client, web or tablet/smartphone app.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    A Genie client can only record to its mothership, the Genie.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, I phrased that wrong. Basically meant that you can't set something to record remotely from another room from a DVR, but can from the other types of boxes. Of course the client and RVU have their own limitation, though would be a moot point if it's a one DVR householdl

16. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Ceton InfiniTV. 4 cable tuners with beautiful DVR GUI and $2 monthly fee versus $25+ for DirecTV. Add a second one for 8 tuners. Been using that since I dropped satellite and its fantastic. Also saving a lot of money and have all my local subchannels without needing an antenna.

Also realize that Brighthouse is probably the best cable company in the country in terms of content, having far more HD than DirecTV. I think it would be a mistake to give that up, especially since there are simple solutions for a better DVR (Tivo or HTPC). If you want premium sports content, that's a different story. DirecTV is pretty much the only option in that case. If you want to save some money on new customer deals, flipping to DirecTV will make that happen too, at least for the first year or two.