1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching to Dish and have questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jazzyjez, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jazzyjez

jazzyjez Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I’m thinking of switching to Dish because they now have my locals in hi def which Directv doesn’t (and they don’t even give a target date). It’s also because Dish is ahead with other channels like BBCA-HD.

Before I make any rash moves I need to hear from you guys as to what it’s really going to cost as I can’t find all the info on their website. My programming would be the Top 250 ($65) + HBO and SHO ($24) + Locals ($6) – that makes $95/month. Obviously I want all this in HD, which I assume is now free, and it needs to go to 3 HD-DVRs. So what do they charge in terms of DVR fees, receiver fees or mirroring fees, and what else could/do they charge for (e.g. MRV)?

Do you need 2 separate RG-6 lines to each receiver? If my current dish location in my back year works good for Directv’s satellites positioned from 99 to 119, will that also work for Dish? (I read somewhere they have some odd locations like 72 or something.

Sorry it’s a lot of questions but I need to be really clear about this – I’ve been very happy with Directv but they’re slipping badly now so that’s why I’m thinking of changing.

2. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    How many TV's will you have and how many of those do you want to view HD (are there any that SD would be fine)? Do you want the ability to view all TV's simultaneously watching different channels? Do you want as many channels as possible in HD, or would you be ok with a lower tier that is currently free (higher tier costs more - See Dish website for different tiers)? As far as teh wiring, Dish will wire everything for you on install.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You should be able to step through DISH's ordering process to get a decent quote.
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects/csa_links/default.aspx?csa=byd&pack=222351&hd=gold

In my market (an Eastern Arc Market) filling out the form for AT250+HD Free+HBO+Showtime (but not checking the three month free HBO+Showtime) and setting the receivers at three HD TVs with DVRs lists three single output DVRs (ViP 612) that have a $10 monthly fee for the second and third receiver for a pre-tax monthly charge of $99.99.

Locals are included in all markets and the current sign up offer is $15 off for 12 months. So your bill would go up to $114.99 in a year and likely go up a couple of dollars more with DISH's annual price increase. But the "first three months free" of HBO/Showtime would bring that price down to $75.99 for the first three months.

Upgrading the second and third receiver to DVRs is a one time cost of $100 each, so the initial signup would be $200+first month+$21.00 in taxes (in my state) for $305.99.

Total price for two years of service on three DVRs as noted: $2,707.76 or an average $112.82 per month, plus tax (including cost of upgrading receivers to DVR). This is assuming the three TVs you noted is all you want to serve.

Step through the application with your local post office address if you don't want to give your own. But the online tool should be your best answer.

As far as wiring ... DISH needs a single home run cable to each receiver. One cable to each receiver from the dish or switch (usually directly from the dish in three receiver or less installs without any odd requirements).

4. jazzyjez

jazzyjez Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Many thanks for the information - it really helps! This is looking quite favorable as I'm currently running over $150/mo with Directv (before taxes) - and I'm not getting the HD channels I mentioned (as well as some others).

That's partly so high because I subscribe to their premier service as that originally worked well for getting the sports pack as well as HBO and SHO. Having Starz and Cinemax is obviously nice but I don't really need that many movies which is why I didn't include them as a requirement here. Also, I think I'm right in saying the FSC is part of the AT-250 package, and that was really the main reason I needed Directv's sports pack.

Do they supply the 922 receivers if requested on new installations? I could see the sling feature being useful. Also, can you do any multi-room viewing via Ethernet - I've already got my Directv receivers networked, and that worked great (of course now they want a fee for that too!). I will be sticking with just three independent HD-TVs for now.

5. finman76

finman76 New Member

Aug 10, 2010
    If you're going to do 3 independent HD TV's, you could get the VIP-211K and pay the one time $39 fee to activate the USB hard drive and then those receivers would be HD-DVR's for only $7/ea per month.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Local channels (as available) are included with both provider's current offerings.

7. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    922s are $200, even for new customers. The 211 idea is good.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can add ONE 922 to your cart when setting up service - for $200 lease upgrade. DISH doesn't share content between DVRs or receivers so what you have on one receiver is only viewable on that receiver. The 922 can "sling" a HD picture to a computer in your house (and, dependent on bandwidth, anywhere you can connect to the Internet). As your primary receiver the 922 would not cost you more per month but if you purchased additional 922s the "additional receiver fee" jumps from $10 to $20 per month.

9. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    James,

You may want to mention that if one is willing to carry an External Hard Drive (EHD) from one receiver to another receiver that sharing content is possible.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'll let you mention it. :)

Note that this would only work on DVRs or non-DVRs that had been upgraded but not between DVRs and non-DVRs. For example, a customer with a 622, a 722 and 211 could move his drives between the 622 and 722 but not to their 211. I believe it would work between the three 612s DISH recommends for this account. Sneakernet.

11. Denverhoss

Denverhoss New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    "DISH doesn't share content between DVRs or receivers so what you have on one receiver is only viewable on that receiver. "

So even with 922s there still isn't multiroom viewing from one reciever to another? I've been putting off upgrading from my 3 tivo SD DVRs until I can find a good HD replacement. Even the Tivo isn't true sharing, you have to copy the program from the remote DVR over the network but that is normally just a minute or two until its watchable as it streams. Does DISH or anybody have that ability yet besides TIVO?

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Directv, Uverse, & Fios have it.

13. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    The U-verse THDVR works very well.

14. some_raisins

some_raisins Cool Member

Mar 13, 2007
    One thing that was disappointing with Dish was that in order to get my local channels in HD (Madison, WI), they needed to aim the satellite to the East. I have a huge hill & tall trees to the East, so that didn't work. So they had to use an older dish aimed South. I can only get my locals in SD via the Dish. I have an OTA antenna hooked up to the expansion module in my DVR, but my signal strengths aren't the best. Personally, I'm about to switch back to DirecTV mainly because of this -- DTV was able to get my locals in HD via a satellite aimed South.

Also, the 722k HD DVR from Dish that I have sometimes skips to the end of a program that you're watching, and there's no way to go back & watch the skipped part. Rewind & skip back only takes you back to the part where it jumped to the end. Fast forward or skip ahead & it takes you right to the end again. It happens rarely, but when it happens to a show or game that you really want to see, it's beyond frustrating.

Another thing I don't like about Dish is that there's no way to see how far you are in a show without hitting Pause. With DTV, you just need to hit Play and it will show you the progress while the show is still playing.

Maybe these problems are tied to the 722k though, I dunno.

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    They are not "tied" to the 722k. Mine does not skip during playback, so I'd suggest your receiver is defective. Call Customer Service.

Also, you do not need to pause to see how far you are into a show. Hit "Select" and the bar across the top will appear with the start and stop times of the show, the name of the show, the time remaining in the show and the current time. It will also display the channel number and name, whether in HD, Single or dual mode, and the day of the week and the date.

Look to the right and you'll see the time remaining. :)

Leaving for D* to get HD locals sounds like a good move. Leaving because you have a box that is defective not so much. Get E* to replace the defective unit.

16. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The skips yuo are experiencing are missing programming data, either your OTA signal or your satellite signal fails during that part of the recording.

The receiver cannot record what it does not receive and sometimes a defective reciever will not reocrd what it does receive.

Call Dish and have them trouble shoot the problem.

17. some_raisins

some_raisins Cool Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Thanks for the tip on hitting Select... didn't know that.

I've called Dish before on the skipping-to-end problem, but since it's not easily reproducible, they just had me reset the unit & call back if it happens again. I believe it's tied to the OTA tuner. Since last NFL season (where it happened many times), it's only happened a few times. I'm pretty sure it starts with the DVR being in a state where it is viewing, live, a program that it is currently recording OTA (possibly only when you are also recording 2 other shows via the dish at the same time, making the OTA recording the 3rd active recording). Hit pause (for me, it's usually a sports game that I want to watch from the beginning), then either rewind to the beginning & start from there, or watch some other show in your recordings. If the problem is going to happen, it will happen while you are watching this thing, or while you are watching the next thing. Whatever recording it happens to, it is a permanent jump point. Every time it happens, it seems to start with the DVR being in a state where it is watching, live, a program that it is currently recording OTA -- that's the main thing that triggers it.

Regardless, I'm not really interested in troubleshooting this issue, as DTV's contract buyout offer & promo rates would end up being cheaper for me anyway, I can get local channels in HD via the satellite, and it looks like they fixed the lagging responsiveness issue in their newer HR23 & HR24 DVR's. Until then, I'll be watching the Packers games live.

18. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    You can also hit cancel and the same info will appear at the top of the screen.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The HR23 has all the responsiveness problems of its predecessors. The fun part is that you won't know which receivers you get until you get them. HR21 and rarely HR20 models are still making appearances.