1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching to Dish....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jedinite6, May 30, 2011.

1. jedinite6

jedinite6 New Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Hello all, new forum guy here. I have been a Directv subscriber for five years now, no real big complaints except for the whole "Cannot guarantee you a new model specific dvr" and the slow response from my hr-21. I have been really impressed with the Dish 922's gui and I know their new models should also have it as well. What is holding me back there is that I am a huge sports fan, the NFL in particular. I have been hearing about Directv updating their guis to a newer hd look. Should I hold on and wait to see what happens? Make the move? Struggling with a decision here. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Dish is anti-sports.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are a couple of hacks that can help with speed, including turning off the remote sending id codes, clearing nvram, turning off scrolling effects, etc.

You can't guarantee a particular receiver directly from DirecTV, but you can get a new box from a place like solid signal. They do guarantee hr24s. You won't be able to get a deal, it'll be $200 and put you under a two year commitment.

They have said a new GUI is coming this year. I'd doubt that would speed anything up though.

Youd certainly lose Sunday ticket (if there's a season this year), and Dish is the only major carrier that I know of that does not offer Extra Innings. I don't know if you use MRV, but their system is no comparison.

4. jappleboy

jappleboy AllStar

Apr 2, 2010
    How many receiver are you needing if it is just one you are better off staying with Directv . Dish will want some money up front take that money and get a new 24

5. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I don't have high hopes of the new gui speeding things up. I actually think it will slow it down because of the increase in processing power needed for the higher resolutions. I just hope it won't make it worse. The lag time is by far my biggest complaint about the current HR DVRs.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    For info, the 922 GUI is not used on any other Dish DVR. It has been rumored to be coming to the 722k but not on any other models.

And since you have said you are a huge sports fan, I wouldn't think Dish would be a good move for you.

7. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Other than your 1st months bill, if you are a qualified customer, Dish charges zero up front fees for up to 6 rooms of service including HD and DVR equipment. Addl. DVR's beyond 1st would however require an upgrade fee be paid.

8. majikmarker

majikmarker AllStar

Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    I am a sports fan as well and I watch TV for the content provided. I would never consider leaving Directv because of the GUI or (what I consider) minor quibbles with the equipment.

I experience the occasional non-responsive remote and slow button responses, but for me, content trumps all of this. Makes more sense to me to come to grips with the interface and hardware than forgoing the programming you want.

9. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Also, keep in mind Dish will fee you to death. If you get a 922, there is an extra $4 tacked on to the DVR fee which makes it $10.00 per month. If you have an extra DuoDVR (625,622, 722, 722K, 922) it is a $17.00 lease fee for each extra DuoDVR, the SoloDVR (612, 525) is $12.00 lease fee for EACH extra box. I think that it is $12.00 for a 222, or a 222K HD receiver as well, I am not sure about that though. And, even though they have more basic HD, you can (at least I could) tell a big difference in the HD quality. That is just my two cents.

10. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    Sports fan? Don't bother. When DirecTV says that they have the most supports they surprisingly aren't lying. Now as for being up on adding HD channels........ that's another story for another thread.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't give a hooey about sports (even though I donate plenty to ESPN which I never tune in). I'm sure I subsidize NFL Sunday Ticket too.

But I've been a DirecTV customer since 2000 and have never been unhappy with the programming or the response I've gotten from customer service when I had a problem.

DISH Network is very good in the marketing department. If you look in the yellow pages under "satellite TV" you will see loads of ads for DISH and only one or two for DirecTV. They send out coupons with weekly mailers touting "5 plans for under $50". They compare their service to DirecTV price wise.

But you know what? The old adage "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" keeps popping up every time I consider switching.

Did you ever read DISH's fine print? It seems to be loaded with nasty surprises. Like their "2 room DVR" that turns out to be ONE DVR with TWO outputs and an IR and RF remote control. It only supplies HD to ONE TV. And, of course, it only has two tuners. Hmmm.

You can't buy any DISH equipment-it's all leased and they want it ALL back if you cancel-even the dish and multiswitch! And the return shipping is on YOUR dime. Hmmm.

And those "5 plans for under $50"? That's for the first year. Look out in year 2 which you are committed to by contract.

If after 5 years you are tempted to switch, so be it. But my suggestion is to read ALL the fine print and know in advance what you are getting in to.

12. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    You can buy your own equipment for Dish, and it will belong to you. You still have to pay the "lease" fees though. When you return the equipment, you do have to pay for the shipping, but all they want back are their receivers, if you leased them from Dish, and they ask that you send back the LNB if you can get to it. They do not require you to send back the dish though.

13. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    As others have said, if you're a big NFL fan, you have no choice but to hang in there. If sports isn't such a big priority, Dish has a lot more basic HD content than DirecTV at the moment (AMC, BBCA, TCM, HLN, etc.). I switched from D* to E* for the basic HD. You'll find if you compare apples to apples, both services cost pretty much the same and both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. You just have to make a wish list and pick the provider that satisfies the most important ones. I'm very happy I switched since basic HD content was my top priority.

Unlike some others have reported, I see no noticeable difference in HD picture quality on my 60" screen from 8'-10' away. I also really like the better SD quality, built-in sling, 3hr x 7 channel guide view, responsive DVR, high quality Sirius-XM music channels, superior DVR management via the web. I don't like the frequent provider disputes, no ABC Family HD or Disney HD, no MRV, or the high cost of multiple DVRs. However with only a couple of DVRs in my home, I'm getting a lot more HD content for my money than I ever got with D*.

14. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    As others have said, it all boils down to what is important to you. For me personally, I am a sports fan and while I would love to have every channel in HD, when I had alot of the channels that D* currently doesn't carry in HD with Time Warner I found that either I never watched them or the channels I did watch the content was rarely in HD and if it was I wasn't impressed. If the only gripe someone has with a provider is the GUI/response time/etc then it is NOT a wise decision to switch because for everything that you hate about a service, the important stuff like content/price/customer service/etc may become unbearable with a new provider and then you are right back in the same boat you were in before you switched. That goes for either provider. There is no perfect service for everyone, or else everyone would have the same tv provider. Also, as has already been stated before, make sure you read ALL of the print on an ad before ordering anything. I get people shopping services off me all the time that swear up and down that the advertised price will cover all needs they have and then get angry when we inform them of any extra charges for us or any other company for that matter.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You don't. Bars and restaurants do.

16. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Citation needed.

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Do the cost analysis of what bars and restaurants pay for ST and you'll see.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    What happens if an owned unit fails?

19. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Receivers have a 1 yr. warranty after that the owner pays. Either through extended service contract or out of pocket.:)

20. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    That's the bottom line for me too. With DirecTv I can get the programming I want. I couldn't get that with DISH. I can put up with less than the best hardware, if need be, as long I can watch what I want.