1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of switching to DTV

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by dalucca, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    I am a current Dish customer and have been since 2003. I am contemplating a switch over to DTV. I have some questions which my local dealer seems to not be able to answer which is a concern if they were to come out and provide the work.

I currently have a Dish 1000.2 I believe which has three feeds being fed into a On-Q module which also accepts an OTA feed. This is a really nice and clean install in my On-Q box as it then only requires one feed per room. The signal is then fed into a diplexer and then into a Dish Pro Plus seperator at the receiver location. I currently have two 722's and one 622 and have really not encountered any major issues lately.

My questions are:

1. Can I utilize the exisiting three feeds and the On-Q module to supply the signal to each room or do I need to install a multi-switch with the DTV dish?

2. I am thinking of leasing two HR24's and one HD receiver. Could all three receivers accept an OTA signal with one feed?

3. Can I roof mount the DTV dish?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's input.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You will NOT be able to diplex OTA onto your DirecTV lines and none of the receivers come with OTA tuners in them anyway (though you can purchase AM21 tuner modules for about $60 each). But you'll have a pretty complete set of locals via satellite, so unless one of the odd-ball locals is *real* important, I'm not sure why you'd bother.

You would only have a single coax line coming into your On-Q box from the dish (i.e., they'd use one of the ones already there), and one line to each receiver. That will support MRV/Whole-Home DVR too.

Assuming you have standard asphault roof shingles, the dish will go on the roof just fine.

3. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    I have tile roof, but I thought I heard there was a way. Also, can't a switch be mounted near the dish and still utilize all three exisiting feeds?

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is not true. HR20's do.

5. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    So if there is only one feed coming into the On-Q, does Direct TV provide a multi-switch?

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With a SWM LNB, there is only one connector coming out of the LNB and only one line going into the house or to the junction box. There, a high-quality coax splitter is used to split the signal to enough lines to get one line to each receiver, up to a maximum of 8 *tuners*. DVRs use 2 tuners, non-DVRs use one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    BattleZone,

Thanks for the visual breakdown. So is the splitter provided by DTV? Also, what is the DECA and can they all be installed in the On-Q box?

8. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    I think I am close to converting over to DTV. One last question, if I was to install three HD-DVR's, will I still be able to take advantage of the MRV/Whole-Home DVR setup?

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Absolutely. You could view one program from each remote DVR on any other DVR. Plus, you can view something different (or swap between two live feeds) on the DVR that is serving to the other rooms.

What you cannot do is view two different programs that were recorded on the same DVR, on two different remote DVRs, if you understand what I'm saying.

10. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    So basically it sounds like you can only watch one pre-recorded program from one DVR from another TV at a time.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's right. That's the only limitation if you've got three receivers involved.

12. dalucca

dalucca Legend

Feb 5, 2005
    Also, if you are utilizing the MRV/Whole-Home DVR setup, are you still able to connect an ethernet line to the boxes and utilize internet features?