1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This 1TB drive any good??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by DCSholtis, Dec 19, 2008.

1. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Tempted to order this from Amazon seems like a great price for a 1TB drive and its a well known brand. I'll be using this connected to my Airport Extreme's USB port and sharing it with my home network. Keeping my backups and such on it. Anyone own this that can give me some feedback?

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    A link might help... ;)

3. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
  4. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    That is a very good price! I bought Mrs. Smiddy a 350 MB USB drive last year for $100 so this is a huge bargain in comparison.

5. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Can't really give you input on the Iomega drive, but if you're open to it Newegg has a few WD external drives that are a little less expensive.

6. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    It doesn't have eSata... USB isn't bad, but I picked up a Cavalry 1TB with eSata for $100 a month ago. Deals are out there.

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
  8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The Iomega from Amazon is $9 cheaper than Newegg's price and Newegg also charges for shipping on that drive.
    However, Newegg does have several WD 1TB drives for a lower price, and with free shipping.

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    if you are going to run the drive 24/7 on your network, then i would get a drive with a fan

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks everyone I decided to go with the AcomData one as it has an on/off switch and the other reason is that the drive inside is a Western Digital "Green" drive Supposedly it spins down when its idle and its cased in aluminum so there is no need for a fan. I'll be using this hooked up to my Airport Extreme as I said running Time Machine and various other backups such as iTunes, etc.

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Received that AcomData hooked up. Was a bit of a trick to get Time Machine to recognize it but a trip to the Apple Discussion Forums solved that. Works great btw. I have it hooked up to my Airport Extreme Gig Ethernet model.