1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This just posted on engadget

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TomF, Oct 21, 2008.

1. TomF

TomF Icon

Sep 20, 2006
  2. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Especially interesting, since some of us got the lockup without the new up rev that supposedly accompanies it.

3. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    these are guys are something else
    exactly what is the agenda at Engadget?
    I wouldn't exactly call that fair or accurate net journalism

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

You can't be serious can you? This was a nationwide lockup requiring a reboot in primetime, the second in two weeks and because someone is critical about it you think there is an agenda?

This is the second post/thread I've seen like this in a couple of weeks, that if there is a negative article about the HR2x and D* there must be some evil agenda by the writer.

There is no agenda. It is the reality of how others outside of this cocoon generally perceive the HR2x series.

5. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    All I can add is "Two reboots in prime time this month -- NOT cool!"

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Not sure of any agenda, but it sure is an inaccurate report as to the cause of the lockups. Normal software updates are pushed in the early morning hours (around 2:30 am). This software push was in response to another series of unexpected lockups as "bad" or enhanced data caused units not running version 290 to lockup again. So a more accurate report by Engadget would be that data (most likely guide data) caused HR2x's to lockup and that DirecTV then pushed a new software version to eliminate this in the future. Just sloppy reporting, it's what happens when you run with assumptions rather than facts.

7. jjohns

jjohns Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    That's right, now attack Engadget.
    Lawyer 101 - When you don't have the facts on your side - attack the credibility of the person stating the facts.

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Well, they did get the first "fact" wrong. The lockups from a few weeks ago were not from a botched software update, as the writer alleges - the CE at that time was clearly not ready for rollout and from what I recall there was no new software in the stream at the time.

Engadget doesn't bill themselves as a news outlet (at least I would hope not!!); I would liken them more to a "Editorializer" than a news outlet.

9. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Engadget gets their information from user submissions. So, they generally only know what they hear from others. They do welcome comment from the companies as well...so I'm sure if DirecTV felt what they were saying is incorrect they could contact them and have that posted as well.

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Excellent perspective by engadget, they tell it like it is, there’s no ball washing there, just an accurate report on the HR2X debacle…

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Except for that part that was inaccurate. :scratchin

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    come on, no sense getting hung up on little things like that. we all know opinion is equal to fact if posted on the internet.

13. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    :lol: :lol:

14. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    !rolling

15. kramer

kramer AllStar

Jun 6, 2007
    Drink the Cool Aid:p

16. JTWestside

JTWestside Mentor

Oct 9, 2008
    ATARI Is spot on.

Regardless of the cause it happened most people aren’t going to say "oh, well if the first time was just guide data that make everything ok." Doesn't matter. If DIRECTV wants to clear things up they should be less vague in their press releases. The original release said "in an effort to improve and expand your services" who wouldn't think that was an upgrade? Not everyone hangs out @ DBSTALK.com

17. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    All I'm saying is that if they want to bill themselves as a news-reporting entity they should make some kind of attempt at getting the news right. Not everyone hangs out at DBSTalk, no, but the technology "reporters" of the world should at least get the "news" correct. :rolleyes:

18. jjohns

jjohns Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    Engadget should have checked with DBSTalk to make sure they had the facts before they wrote anything.

Yeah, they would have gotten an objective view there, wouldn't have they?

19. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    If it didn't take 10 - 15 minutes to reboot, it might be almost acceptable.

20. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Editorializer?
    :lol: