1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This makes NO sense

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by EMoMoney, Oct 25, 2008.

1. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    Every HD channel is receiving 771 error right EXCEPT for 1, my local ABC. All HD and locals are out except ABC. Now does that make any sense at all???

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Do you have bad weather

3. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    It rained earlier, but I was watching the Alabama game on ESPN before the Penn State game started. First break I tried switching back to ESPN and nada. I then checked all other HD channels during other breaks in the action.

4. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    Ok, even more bizarre. I didn't mention that I was recording the game because we were supposed to go out for dinner and I wasn't sure I'd be home. So, I stop the recording of ABC and all the other HD channels came back. I start recording again and the other HDs have the 771 message again. I will restart the unit at halftime.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You have lost one tuner. When the only working tuner is busy recording you get the 771 because the second tuner is not. Check your connections after all the rain, sounds like something is wet.

6. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    Makes a little more sense now, but does it make sense to only lose one tuner on the 103 and 99 sats? Both tuners are solid on the 101, 110, and 119 sats. Tuner 1 is out on the 103 and 99 sats.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try swapping your two satellite input cables, both with and without swapping the BBC modules. That will help you determine if it's a DVR tuner problem, or a problem with the signal on that one cable.

8. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    Did something change with this latest software release that makes it not possible to use a diplexer anymore? I have been using this setup for well over a year now. My BBC converters are upstairs behind the diplexer so that I only have to run 2 cables downstairs to another diplexer to get both tuners and my OTA. Things have been fine until this week. I wouldn't think a software upgrade would have anything to do with this, or could I be looking at one of my diplexers possibly being bad? My OTA was working the entire time as well.

I took out the diplexers and am using just straight runs and both SAT tuners are now working.

9. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Seems to me I have seen postings about not using diplexers... not sure...

10. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    As long as you place the BBC converters between the Sat and the diplexer, there should be no problems. I know many here have done this and my setup was working for well over a year and up til this past Monday that I know of as I successfully recorded on both tuners at the same time.

11. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    It sounds like one of your diplexers went bad. Did you try interchanging the devices and see if the trouble followed a particular unit?

12. jbeskow

jbeskow Mentor

Oct 24, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am using diplexers on my HR21 unit and both tuners are working fine. I checked both the OTA through my AM21 and Sat. channels. It could be a bad diplexer or a loose connection someone.

13. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    Thanks for all the help. It was one of the diplexers. I replaced the one upstairs and everything is in working order now.