1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"This program cannot be fast forwarded"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bengalfreak, Nov 16, 2011.

1. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    So I recently downloaded (via onDemand) an episode of SNL. Its the one with Melissa McCarthy hosting. Anyway, as is the case with many episodes of SNL lately, the sketch I was watching was exceedingly boring, so I decided to FF to the beginning of the next one. When i hit the FF button, I get a message that says "This program cannot be fast forwarded". And no matter what I do, I could not FF in the program at all. I wasn't to the end of the buffer either, I had fully downloaded at least 75% of the program, and where I was watching was still at the beginning point.

What gives???!!!

2. cruxer

cruxer Mentor

Nov 11, 2006
    In my experience, shows downloaded from NBC's OnDemand channel can't be fast forwarded. I always assumed it was a condition of carriage. They allow you to time shift, but not skip content/commercials.

-c

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    This is becoming more common as they want you to view the ads. This is imposed by the network, not DirecTV.

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    And as crap like this, imposed by the content providers becomes more pervasive, I'm going to be re-thinking my "need" to have multiple DVRs in my home or, for that matter, the "need" to pay Directv or any content carrier for the privilege of watching commercials.

In my humble opinion, the best that we can do is decline to download NBC's crippled On Demand programming and write strong letters - many, many strong letters - to NBC about this.

5. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Yes, because heaven forbid you watch a commercial or three! Write those letters. I'm sure NBC will stop the practice immediately!

2 people like this.
  6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The reality is that somebody pays for the programming. If advertisers aren't assured that their ads aren't being skipped by all of the DVR owners (of which there are more every day), then they will not pay the same rate for the ad space. That will limit the revenue for the networks, which will need to be made up by charging the providers more for the content. And, of course, that will be passed along to the consumers.

There is no free lunch. If you want no commercials (or the ability to FF through them), then expect a full slate of pay channels, like HBO.

I hate commercials as much as the next guy, but I don't want my DIRECTV bill to double or triple because advertisers are no longer willing to pay for ads that are not watched by the lion's share of the viewers.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's not just with the service providers and broadcasters. It's everywhere. Advertising on the internet has quadrupled. We are being bombarded! It's just a matter of time before advertisements are inserted with our phone service.

8. e4123

e4123 AllStar

Jan 31, 2011
    I'd watch them commercials if they were in HD...

9. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    If enough people raise enough hell, they will. Vote with your wallet - it's the only language NBCUniversalComcast (or whatever they call themselves officially) understands.

Since I've already made my views known, and since I already pay monthly, I do the only other thing I can: I don't watch NBC On Demand with my DVR functionally crippled.

You do what you want.

10. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    From MY perspective, that's to be worked out between NBC and Directv. I pay between $170 - $200 monthly for my TV. That includes an additional fee specifically for DVRs. If that's not enough, and my DVR becomes simply a "time shifter" and not fully-functioned, I'll drop the service. If enough people feel as I do, changes will be made. If everyone just accepts the ever-decreasing level of service for the same price, changes won't be made.

But at least I'll be saving myself thousands of dollars per year, money I can spend on other types of entertainment I CAN control the way I like.

1 person likes this.
  11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's just NBCUniversal at the moment. It still makes me laugh that when NBC and Universal first got together the production company was called NBC Universal Television Services and no one realized that was NUTS.

2 people like this.
  12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I never looked at it that way. :lol:

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    NBC VOD content has been like this, can't fast forward, since we got it back. It is a requirement that NBC put on DirecTV.

It's better than when we initially got NBC VOD, we had to pay for episodes then.

14. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The networks' own sites have the same limitation. At regular intervals, the shows pause while they show you some commercials, that you can't skip through.

15. e4123

e4123 AllStar

Jan 31, 2011
    FOX on demand is the same way.

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    If you want to fast forward, record the program when it is broadcast.

I missed a couple of ABC shows and used VOD to view them. I could not fast forward, but at least the VOD shows had much shorter commercial breaks -- ran about 50 minutes instead of 60.

17. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I just hit mute so I don't have to hear them too. Some of the commercials are sort of funny when you only have video. Some of them I wonder what they are trying to sell since with no audio it isn't clear what they are pushing.

18. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Can't see why its such a big deal to the OP. I'd rather have "it" available for viewing, than NOT have it available.

19. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    You can't see why its such a big deal? On a normal show I would agree. However, at least half of SNL's sketches stink and I don't want to have to sit thru them. Heck, I would like it better if they made me watch the ads and let me FF thru the crappy sketches.

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Just record SNL and you can FF all you want through the recording.