1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This seems so minor compared to some of your issues but........

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by eaglepi, May 22, 2005.

1. eaglepi

eaglepi New Member

May 12, 2005
    I just got my 942 and I can't figure out how to record a program and while that is recording still watch live tv on the same TV.. everything in the manual talks about recording and watching prerecorded programs, nothing about watching live programs while recording.

Can someone help me out here?

BTW you guys are smart as hell when it comes to this stuff I ahve been reading this group for a while, this is my first post..

Thanks

2. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    If you want to watch live programming on you main tv, then I suggest you use single mode. Not dual mode. You can still run to two different tvs, but you will be watching the same thing on both tvs. You can record up to 3 things at the same time. If you are recording say a satellite program then you can easily use your sat guide and tune to another channel and watch it live. If you are recording two sat programs then you could watch your ota digital channels. Just use the sat guide and tune to that channel. IF you are recording a sat channel and an ota digital channel, again use the sat guide and tune to sat station you want to watch. The key is you have more options on your main tv if you use it in single mode.

You can easily select the mode button on the front of you tv and then switch back to dual mode when you want to. You can also in single mode, use the pip button and see the other tuner and hit swap to access the other tuner. The only problem presently, is that you will lose the dolby digital sound if you are using the a/v receiver and the digital sound. They are supposed to be working on a software update to fix it.

If you get off the main tuner , by swapping or using the pip , you can get it back by rebooting it. Hit and hold the power button down on the front of the receiver and hold about 5 seconds and it will reset the receiver . You will then be back on the main tuner. If you leave it in dual mode you won't be able to access pip or swap the tuners so you won't ever lose the dobly digital sound , but you won't be able to watch the other sat tuner . You will be able to watch the ota and the main sat tuner on the main tv , while in dual mode. In single you can watch either sat tuner and the ota stations. In dual mode you won't be able to see the ota stations on your second tv , only the dish satellite locals. That is the way they intended it so you will still buy locals from Dish. You also need the sat locals to get your ota information for you ota digital stations. Note this will only work if Dish carries your locals up on the satellite.

I hope that gives you some answers that helps. It is a lot to read but basically in single mode you have up to three tuners you can watch with pip options. With dual mode you can watch up to two things on your main tv( either one sat tuner or one ota digital station), and on the second tv you can only watch one sat tuner. Either tv can access the hard drive and use the pvr recordings. Even the ota digital station recordings. This can come in handy on the second tv , in dual mode , to be able to watch recordings from the ota tuner recorded from the first tv.

3. Gutter

Gutter AllStar

May 4, 2005
    The point is that you can record on a channel and then just change the channel to another without affecting what you are recording. If you are in dual tuner mode and both tuners are recording at the same time, you will get a warning telling you that if you try to change channel you need to stop the recorder on the tuner you are using. Really hard to screw it up

4. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

Now why couldn't I have just said that. :p