1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those evil Girl Scouts and their blasphemous cookies

Discussion in 'The OT' started by invaliduser88, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2424315

Because the Bluebonnet Council sponsored sex-education programs at Planned Parenthood, some prolife nazi aired a radio aid the encouraged people not to buy girl scout cookies and some parents pulled their kids out of girl scouts.

Let's just let these girls grow up while we turn on blind eye to the problem of teen sex and pregnancy! What a bunch of hyprocrits!!!

2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Several prominate conservative organizations (Christian Coalition, Focus on Family, Concerned Women for America) have a protest and "boycott" of the Girl Scouts already because the Girl Scouts do not discriminate against non-christians and homosexuals. They're also boycotting and protesting the Boys and Girls Clubs of America and the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America organizations for the same reasons.

3. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    more silliness from the dufus right-wingers. The vast majority of Americans support scouting and the values promoted by it.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Please don't lump those neo-nazi hate-mongering dufuses in with us regular run-of-the-mill right-wing dufuses. :lol:.

5. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Big deal. How dare parents actually care about their children.
    We have parents who are pro life. Their daughters are in an organization which gave an award to an group which is pro abortion. Is it that much of a stretch to have the parents pull their children out of the group?
    Maybe they'll teach sex ed their own way. The way they want their children to learn it.

It's a shame when a parent who is actually trying to do something good for their child is called a neo nazi and a doofus.

Thread hijack alert....
    At least these parents aren't strapping bomb vests to their children and sending them to blow up school busses....

We get a criticizing post when a mom pulls her child out of the Girl Scouts because of religious beliefs. But when a mom blows herself up killing dozens of people along with orphaning her children- in the name of religion... there isn't a peep. Nice.

6. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    The thing is, though, these dufus' not only do not want their own children "exposed" to other ideas, they don't want your children "exposed" to them, either, regardless of what YOU want. They want to decide what is right for them AND for you. You get no choice.

Sort of like the fundamentalists definition of "freedom of religion". To a fundamentalist, "freedom of religion" means he is free to worship as he sees fit and you are free to worship as he sees fit. :sure:

Adding histrionic irrelevancies like suicide bombers to the discussion of the Girl Scouts only obfuscates the real issue.

7. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    And in the past, some of these parents have resorted to killing doctors and bombing/torching clinics. That sets a good example for their kids. It's ok if it's in the name of God you know, the mideast doesn't completly own the market on that BS.

8. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Really? What part of pulling their children out of the Girl Scouts has anything to do with what they think is right for me?

Would I pull my kids out of a group which had ties to PP? Not necessarily. But I am in support of parents who would choose to do so.

Just pointing out how some have a problem with something as inane as parents actually deciding what group to have their children be a part of yet when parents kill their children there isn't a peep.

Really? Do you know for a fact that those people were parents? Or these same parents?
    The difference is culture vs individual decisions.
    And the Mideast (with Chechnya a close second) does own the market of killing your children in the name of their god.

9. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Or maybe they won't. Just as likely their daughters will become teenage moms, drop out of school and move into a trailer. Or maybe if they're lucky join a doomsday cult and live in the "compound".

Right wing wackos(or is that "Wacos"?) and doofuses believe abotion is the only service Planned Parenthood provides. As soon as you walk through the door they strap you in the stirrups to see if you have a fetus they can flush. :nono2: Their primary goal is to provide information so people can PLAN PARENTHOOD! And yes, they have become a major provider of abortions and abortion information. But that's mostly because they're one of the few organizations that hasn't run for cover from the right wing wackos and doofuses.

And often, those who turn to Planned Parenthood for information about ALL forms of birth control, do so because they have no where else to turn. Their parents version of "sex ed their own way", is NO WAY.

And speaking of "bombings", The "pro-life" movement is responsible for more domestic bombings and other acts of violence, harassment and even murder then any other "movement".

10. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Personally, I support a boycott of the Girl Souts of the USA, a member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. They've done a lot more to support abortion than sponsor one Planned Parenthood even. And they made saying "God" in their pledge optional. There are many alternative organizations such as American Heritage Girls ( http://www.ahgonline.org/ ) and Missionettes ( http://missionettes.ag.org/ ) among many which are healthy programs for girls which teach positive values. Same goes for Boy Scouts... there are healthy alternatives there too.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say "I won't buy your cookies because you kill babies" to an 8 yr old girl. Simply, I don't want to buy Girl Scout cookies right now. If there's further questions (never have been), I'd simply say I have personal disagreements with the political and religious values of WAGGGS.

11. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Just like their moms now.. right?

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    FYI - there's something I think needs to be said just to put things into perspective.

Last time I checked, Planned Parenthood got about 14% (nationwide average) of it's income from abortion related services - meaning that the remaing *86%* was for pregnancy and other services.

When my ex and I were first married, Planned Parenthood was the *only* place we could afford to buy birth control pills. We weren't ready to have a family (thankfully we never did since we divorced later). Many of the people I met there were ONLY able to get their pre-natal care at the local PP office.

Not saying that the people here are flagrantly radical, but in other places I've seen individuals that think PP has some big "abortion industry plan" - I'm not kidding, they really think that.. At the time, an abortion was about $250 (locally) and involved a few visits. A live birth however would cost over $5000. You tell *me* where the profit incentive is!

Like I said - just to put things in perspective.

13. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    "You tell *me* where the profit incentive is!"

Abortions take less time. For the individual person, abortion IS more profitable since they can do many times more abortions in the same time period. For the medical industry as a whole, life would mean more income, but to the doctor time involved needs to be considered.

14. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Have it your way.:D

15. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Well, there ya are. What goes around, comes around. When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to join Scouts or even the YMCA. Why? Because they allowed "non-Christians" to join.:nono2: I was forced to be a "Lutheran Pioneer" with requisite grey shirts and swashbuckling red scarves ironically similar to the uniform of the then Soviet Union "Pioneers", the Marxist answer to Girl and Boy Scouts. Geez! No wonder I'm so screwed up!:p

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My sister used to go to a free clinic in Boston in the same building as the Planned Parenthood office. Fortunately she wasn't there the day some "God-fearing" "Right to Life?" fanatics bombed the place. I guess only unborn children have the right to live, not already born people who need medical care. :(

17. Stosh

Stosh Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Associating with Planned Parenthood does NOT imply supporting abortion. That is an absurd conclusion. It is also not the duty of the Girl Scouts to promote either pro-life or pro-choice views, thankfully. Please give examples of what others things they have done to "support abortion". I suspect stongly that any such activities are more due to your fundamentalist view than reality.

And that automatically makes them unworthy? Preposterous!

Which implies that the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are not "healthy" and don't teach "positive values". Again, preposterous!

I know the groups you cite above, and they teach specific religious views, which the Boy and Girl Scouts do not, and should not do. That in no way invalidates the good such groups can and do accomplish.

If you want to boycott any organization because of your narrow-minded views, fine. But there is more to raising a well-rounded child than force-feeding them a limited world view and belief that only one religious system is valid. As others have pointed out here, in other contexts, the religious extremism of the Taliban is clearly reflected in the extreme right-wing fundamentalists right here in the U.S., where diversity is supposed to be not only tolerated but encouraged. While they have not resorted to killing to ensure their views are the only ones tolerated, they are certainly trying to force their religious views in our schools and government, and limit the freedom of religion this country is truly based on.

18. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    "Please give examples of what others things they have done to "support abortion". I suspect stongly that any such activities are more due to your fundamentalist view than reality."

The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts presented Nafis Sadik, former leader of UNFPA with it's World Citizenship Award. Among other things, Sadik believes moral values are inheriently opposed to women's rights. She's openly supporting of China's forced-abortion policy. See http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=18749

P.S. If you're not going to believe that coming from Catholic Worls News, read it right on the WAGGGs website:

http://www.wagggsworld.org/about/awards/world_citizenship_award.htm

19. Stosh

Stosh Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    "The web site also reports that "for the first time ever, young women from each of the regions formed a panel to discuss the prevention of adolescent pregnancy."

Wow, that IS pretty subversive stuff! No wonder you want to boycott any organization that would listen to such radical ideas!

20. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you don't want your child to participate in sex ed courses, fine, don't let them. Take your child out of Girl or Boy Scouts. If you don't want any cookies, don't buy them. If you want your child in one of the other alternative "wrap your kids and cotton wool and don't dare let them know there is a world out there before they are completely indoctrinated" organizations, go right ahead. But to go on the air for weeks, making scandalous statements about a bunch of little girls and their "cozy relationships", is not the actions of a "concerned Christian". Its the action of a meanspirited, agenda ridden, conspiricy addled, Pharisee who needs to get a life.

P.S. The above was written by a cranky pastor who spent 25 hours with 12 teenagers in a lockin where we fasted, and then went to an employee dinner with his wife which dragged on for hours, and now should be finalizing his sermon instead of typing this, so if I seem to be less thay my normal tactful self, too bad. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.