1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Thoughts on Sports Pack? What is it good for?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cpalmer2k, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Aug 2, 2014 #1 of 59
    cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    I'm thinking of signing up for the DirecTV sports pack. They offered me a deal for a year on it the other day, and I think it would solve a lot of the issues I'm having with my "Team" recordings. My question is what exactly is the Sports Pack good for now days? My problem is the "Team Recording" feature keeps picking ACC Football & Basketball games that are on RSN channels that I don't get, but then doesn't find the correct channel so it isn't recorded. I've tried smart search recordings too, but then I get coaches shows, etc mixed in and it is a pain. The ACC stuff is just too spread out.

Are NFL Pre-Season games blacked out on the Sports Pack channels?

I know you can't see any live MLB or NBA action unless you subscribe to those packages due to blackouts, but how about replays? And classic games? I know at one point in time YES Classics were available on the Sports Pack, are they now or has that been phased out?

I'm assuming all the College Broadcasts would be in the clear on these channels, but are some of them blacked out too?

Just trying to decide if it would be worth it.

2. Aug 2, 2014 #2 of 59
    Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    I used to subscribe from Sept-March for college football/hoops, when they had a lot of content, but now with the proliferation of the conference networks and networks like FS1, there's just little left for college sports on the RSNs.

3. Aug 2, 2014 #3 of 59
    TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    They were blacked out,unless you were "in the correct market area".

I just record my team's games from replays off the NFL Network.

4. Aug 2, 2014 #4 of 59
    pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    The ONLY reason I personally ever sub to the sports pack is because I live out of market from my favorite hockey team, so I subscribe to NHLCI to watch their games, BUT I'd like to also watch the postgame shows, but those aren't on NHLCI. If you're out of market, you need the sports pack for that.

5. Aug 2, 2014 #5 of 59
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    The only reason I have the sport package is for the soccer on beIN.

6. Aug 2, 2014 #6 of 59
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I think it depends on your market. For me I get Comcast Chicago in my regular package but by adding sports pack I get Fox Sports North and Midwest giving me Brewers, Twins, Royals and Cards baseball in addition to the Cubs and Sox.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2014 #7 of 59
    Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    I have the Sports Pack for the fall & winter. It is the only place you can get a decent amount of FCS football games & college hockey.

8. Aug 4, 2014 #8 of 59
    Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Iowa
    In the same boat: central Iowa. Also the Blues and Wild, in addition to the Blackhawks.

9. Aug 5, 2014 #9 of 59
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I have the Sports Pack for cycling on BeIN Sports and Universal Sports and for the Kentucky football and basketball coaches shows, Big Blue Madness, Blue-White game, women's basketball, and exhibition games on an out-of-market RSN. It is also good for football and basketball from the mid-major conferences and for college sports other than football and basketball.

With the launch of the SEC network, I do not know if anything related to Kentucky will still be on a RSN, but I will still keep the Sports Pack for BeIN Sports and Universal Sports.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I got the Sports Pack once that I can remember, we wanted to watch the Tour of Utah, which was on Fox Sports. Our version is only HD part time, so had to subscribe to get HD coverage.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I have SportsPack to watch pre-game/post-game programming of my favorite teams on MSG and YES, plus some other non-live sports programming on these out of market RSNs.

12. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    I've got it to watch Pens pre/post game and universal sports

13. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    If we had Universal Sports Network in HD I'll be more inclined to get SP.

1 person likes this.
  14. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Yeah this! I keep asking Directv's Twitter page to add it. Hoping to have it in HD for the FIS Alpine World Cup season this winter. If not, I'm not adding Sports Pack again any time soon and have started shopping around for alternatives.

15. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    sports Pack is seldom worth the money.. this is coming from a 14 year D* subscriber.. you get NO pro games.. No added games UNLESS you are in a multi team area.. meaning you are "supposed ' to get say the Nats, Orioles , and say someone else.. When I first moved to my area.. I was "supposed to get the Brewers, Twins' and Rockies" that lasted one year.. Now.. even though 5000 of my 50,000 people metro area still get both. .I do not.. and in fact , even adding sports pack , I would have to PAY to see the Twins, were as a neighbor, ( in a town this small, every one is a neighbor) gets to see them both.. Sports pack is giving free money to D* for little return..

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    And when you subscribe to the service, they still charge you the rsn fee.
    Sorry but that a double dip.

17. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Sports Pack to me is only good for fall and winter season games, like high school or college football,basketball or hockey, Out of market pre game or post game shows if that's your thing, Also for college baseball, Even though at times is nothing different than what they show from my local RSN CSN Chicago, as most other out of market RSN most notably from CSN, show the same thing.

18. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I wonder if they charge the RSN fee if you subscribe to the Select Package + the Sports Pack. That combo is still cheaper than Choice, which is the lowest package that comes with your local RSNs (and includes the RSN fee).

19. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    I like having the sports pack (still not sure if its worth the money every month)
    • Pre and Post game shows on my sports packages
    • Preseason MLB games
    • HD college hoops and football on RSNs (I am rarely blacked out on every RSN for any game in Florida)
    • some nice local stuff from my hometown of Pittsburgh on root sports
    • Uconn Womens basketball for my mother in law on SNY
    • other non RSN channels included

20. evilquik

evilquik Cool Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Tons of benefit in the sports pack for me, but its different for everyone. I like to wager on games and there are tons of college football and college hoops all over different RSN's. A great value for me and I really enjoy it. There are a few months where its not as valuable. I'd say from about April-August. I'm a premier subscriber though so I just deal with it.