1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

THR 22 best drive to purchase

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by indiana324, Nov 26, 2013.

1. indiana324

indiana324 Cool Member

May 14, 2008
    Hi newbie to the thr 22 and would like advice on what 2tb drive would be best to upgrade my new unit..

thanks!!

Mike

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Oh I hate to be "that guy" but it's sort of in the job description... you should not be opening up a THR22 as it violates your customer agreement.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  4. BAMCAT

BAMCAT AllStar

Nov 24, 2007
    Fry's has a nice 2TB server drive that is rated at 24X7 operation which would work fine. I think it is around $115.
    Why burn another 30 watts or so 24X7 with an external drive when you can just swap out the internal drive.
    The internal drive will be spinning and doing nothing when the external drive is plugged in and that's just a waste of power.

The "Green" people would be very happy if you replaced the internal drive also as they are always suggesting that people put a off switch on all equipment that draws power when they are turned off. All remote controlled TV's and such pull about 5 watts when "off" Even your computer is drawing power when you turn them off.
    If you add up all of the devices sitting idle over the US pulling "OFF" power that adds up to a lot of watts and a waste of oil / coal / or natural gas!
    I have a waver strip on my computer system monitor, and printers to kill all power after I shut the computer off.
    (Off my soap box now)

The big mistake that TiVo did when they wrote the operating system for the THR22 is not having the external drive work with the internal drive to add recording capacity. If they did do this, then owners would not be so quick to pry open the DVR and stick a larger drive in. (most likely stop it completely)
    But from D*'s point of view, they didn't want the THR22 to compete with their DVR's with the larger drive. and not so convenient GUI.

Just save your old drive to put back in just in case you need to send the THR22 back for a replacement.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The internal external at the same time I believe is hardware limited in this case.

And I don't have any tv and such that pulls 5 watts. Maybe 1 or 2.

What really needs to happen is DVRs need to spin down drives for most the time they are powered off. That would be nice.

And the reason not to replace his internal is that he doesn't own it an can cause warranty issues as well as he could be charged for it in full if they found out.

With that said does TiVo even work with an esata though?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Generally speaking, use AV-GP kind of drives

7. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I am using a WD20EURS 2TB drive with mine (in an external enclosure.)

8. gumbysucks

gumbysucks New Member

May 1, 2012
    I am using Seagate ST1500DL003 1.5 tb drive got it for $79.99 after rebate . Using antec M1A enclosure modded with 80 mm fan 2spd cut thru side,when original died. Works well some freeze ups, have to reset. It's ben running 2 yrs now. I would just buy any 1.5-2 tb drive with decent specs as all drives have changed over the years and almost all can handle the video recording of 2 streams effortlessly

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    and if you'll use MHDD (get SMART, run scan+remap, SMART again) you and we would know what's good or bad inside of the HDD ...

10. gumbysucks

gumbysucks New Member

May 1, 2012
    It seems when resetting to map the bad sectors on drive as it takes a few months before requiring reset again.
    Does anyone know any other way to check drive, I have no desktop computer, no experiance with linux to check drive.
    When going thru menu does the temp listed for the internal drive only?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    MHDD could be run from a floppy, USB stick or CD-ROM; practically you'll need any PC with SATA controller what is recognizable by MHDD (old desktop with P-I/II/III will works fine)

as to "reset bad sectors"... well you didn't grasp whole concept of remapping:
    (short description):
    - each HDD has reserved area (max 4096 sectors for some drives), if FW discover bad (unrecoverable ) sector, it will mark sector header and whole map of drive, then will change a reference address to new good sector in that reserved area
    - when all sectors from the reserve would be taken and new bad sector found, the drive will degrade beyond repair ( by FW)

12. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Well we all know who's the computer, HDD and FW/SW smarts here :rotfl: jk.