1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THR22-100: Who has one?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK... sound off!

Who's got a THR22? Are you coming off the beta program or did you get it through a CSR?

Let's hear from you!

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 75
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    On December 8, these markets are expected to have TiVo availability:

Chicago IL
    Denver CO
    Los Angeles CA
    New York NY
    Philadelphia PA
    Phoenix AZ
    Sacramento CA
    San Francisco CA
    Seattle WA
    Washington DC

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 75
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Can't say if under beta program ...

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 75
    iotp

iotp AllStar

Aug 13, 2007
    Heard about a $7 monthly fee. I wonder if they will grand-father those in with HR10-250 lifetime membership tivo dvrs?

5. Dec 7, 2011 #5 of 75
    sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    The TiVo fee is $5 and, supposedly, if you have lifetime service you are exempt from that fee.

6. lily10

lily10 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 18, 2010
    We have one. Only hiccup so far was I had to move the b-band converters from the hr20 in our bedroom. They are sending us two more. So far, so good. My wife is happy and I have a hr23-100 for my stuff...his and hers dvrs with HD. Finally dumped the r10!!!!

Spent an hour on tech line when the software update stalled. Now waiting for update again, now that the converters are attached.

UPDATE:
    Mine is not working properly, in that it is still choking while trying to download the latest SW (018A). That was happening from the start, and the tech said it might have been because I tried to use it without B-Band converters. Apparently, that's not the problem. It came with 0178 installed. Very frustrating. When I woke up this morning, it was shut down (not even on standby) after repeated failures to update the SW. It gets to 90 percent, chokes, then shuts down after about 12-13 minutes. I can still use it, by a red button reset, but I have to keep watching it to say no when it asks to update the SW. However, it's also spontaneously restarting and trying to download without even asking, which means it's not usable. Tech is coming tomorrow morning. We will see. Glad my new HR23-100 is working fine.

7. temptemptemp

temptemptemp New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Yeah, I think they all have this software update problem. Mine certainly does and other threads on various boards are saying the same thing. Tech has swapped the box, same problem.

This on top of the first box failing to activate, and the programming still not on being the account (so the second box is "working" but says all channels are not purchased).

I actually don't want all the new features... I just want simple TV that works (tivo's primary benefit is ease of use & simplicity, IMO). But we're 7 hours into the process (yes, 7 hours of technician time here at the house, with me helping) and no dice. AARGH!

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I know our friends at DIRECTV are looking into this and hope to have it resolved soon.

9. temptemptemp

temptemptemp New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Absolutely. The two people @ my house are working hard and I am sure others are too. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But the experience is still... highly aggravating. This is a very poor launch, even for a beta.

And to the points made earlier, I only got this box (and rejoined DirecTV) after resisting strong pitches from the telesales person to get a DTV HDR instead. So: three years of delays, limited/outdated features, sales resistance, and now the launch is being muffed.... I agree with the sentiment that DirecTV's actions do not suggest they believe that TIVO integration is important, and do not auger well for the long-term success of the TIVO/DIrecTV relationship.

10. corvair61

corvair61 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Mine just arrived via Fed-ex. It is installing now. I'll update if I have the same issues as many. I'm excited.

11. corvair61

corvair61 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Success. I had problems with local channels. But no 90% issue.

I am noticing that the remote has a delay, kind of like the Directv boxes. I sure hope that will go away. My Hr10-250 died on Thanksgiving morning and I've been using the Directv box since then. I hate the delay. Hit the button 8 times to get it to do something. Now the new Tivo arrives and it is doign the same thing! NOOOOOOOO!!! Directv has infected Tivo.

I hope I am wrong.

12. fasTLane

fasTLane AllStar

Jan 13, 2006
    I would LOL if it weren't so sad and true. :nono2:

13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Give it a day or so to "settle down". There's lots of background tasks happening in those first 24 hours.

14. corvair61

corvair61 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2011
    You may be right, but I'm starting to doubt it.

Let me say that I bought my first Tivo in the summer of 01. I've had nothing since until the past few weeks with the Directv box.

IN the last few years I blew through about 4 Hr10-250's. They kept blowing out on me. Each time I installed a new one the " background tasks happening in those first 24 hours" had no impact on the box responding to a simple task like hitting the select button.

I've been using it now for about 3 hours. SO far I am furious. It sucks. I don't mean the screens or the software. I just mean the frigging remote. I bring up the guide, I try to move down the list. Nothing. Hit page down or up and nothing happens. I hold the damn button down hard and FINALLY it flys 3 screens forward. When I finally after 10 f'ing minutes get to the channel I want, I hit select. Nothing happens. I hit it and hit and hit it and hit it. NOTHING. It will not do a simple task like change the channel using the select button? I'm sorry. That has nothing to do with background jobs.

So far because of the remote, this is a big fat dud.

15. corvair61

corvair61 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Let me modify that. It IS NOT the remote. I wrote fast and did not think. My logitech Harmony also cannot seem to do the simple tasks without pure agony.

It is so frustrating.

16. papafred

papafred New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I tried the old " select- enter- select- 30 select" to no avail. Same thing with inserting 9 for 30 to add time at bottom of screen. Can this box/ software be modified like the old HR 10-250?

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not sure if those codes still work. Most likely they don't.

18. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Does the DirecTV method work? Try doing a Keyword Search for "30SKIP".

19. mrblog

mrblog New Member

Mar 9, 2011
    I got my first THR22 installed today. My wife has tried to suffer with the HR-series boxes for three years and simply despises using them (or trying to use them) compared to her old SD Tivo. I was going to wait until I had some experience with this one to see before getting any more, but she saw it working and ordered another THR22 today, so we are supposed to have another one soon.

After the first few hours with the THR22, the response to the remote is better (a lot better) than the HR-series DVR, BUT still not as snappy as the old DirecTV Tivos (or real Tivo / Premier) - hopefully it will get better, but given how many wishlists and season passes my wife has on her old Tivo, I'm really concerned about the responsiveness she will experience (one of the biggest nightmares with the HR2x boxes).

It is GREAT to have dual tuners again!

One other note, the installer told us on Weds when they were supposed to install the TiVo, but couldn't for various reasons, that they would have plenty of them and not to worry about getting them. However, today, two days later, they are already out of them and they dont know when they will get any more. Also, FWIW, I notice that I could order the Tivo a few days ago on the DirecTV website, but now the site doesn't let me order it anymore. So, despite all the limitations, it looks like there are still a lot of people that want this new HD Tivo.

20. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you're in a test market it's a bug and should be fixed soon. If you're not in a test market then you got lucky with a bug. I have seen reports online of people who are not in the test markets who ordered one and were upset that the technicians showed up without them because the work order was built with a normal HD DVR.