1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THR22 cannot make phone call

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by fraaboak, Aug 24, 2012.

1. fraaboak

fraaboak Cool Member

Nov 16, 2010
    My THR22 (3 months old) cannot make a phone call. I was only able to do this once. After 20 plus attempts I always get a message failed while negotiating. Caller ID works. Should I be concerned about this. It seems that the data download is OK. Any suggestions. Phone line, dial tones all OK.

2. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Who provides the phone service at your house?

Many devices with built in modems don't work well with Voip telephone service. I had a lot of issues with an older DirecTiVo and Vonage. The Voip from my local cable company solved that problem.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You're not really missing anything without a phone connection. Just no on screen Caller ID. You can still order PPV movies with your remote if you have your THR22 connected to the internet.

4. fraaboak

fraaboak Cool Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks for the info, My phone service is ATT. What is VOIP? Caller ID is working. Do i need to call ATT. All devices have filters provided by ATT.

5. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    VOIP = Voice Over IP. Another name for internet-based phone service.

I doubt that AT&T will be able to do anything to get your Tivo to successfully phone.

6. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I gather your Internet service is over DSL, which is why there are filters. Is there a filter on the THR22 connection? Why not just connect the THR22 to your home network and be done with it?

7. fraaboak

fraaboak Cool Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I just had a tech service call (9/21/12) and the service rep concluded I had a bad unit (probably a bad modem) I posed the question if a phone call was needed to receive software downloads? The answer was the new THR22 receives software info from the sat and a phone line is only necessary for PPV etc. She wanted to know if I wanted a new unit as caller ID is also not working. I said no because I would loose all my downloads. I the called D and talked to Tech support and they verified that a phone line was not need to download software. Any thoughts on this

8. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's correct information. No phone line is needed. Software is updated automatically via the satellite stream. PPV purchases will be reported via the internet if your THR22 is connected to the internet.

9. fraaboak

fraaboak Cool Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks for the confirmation. I feel better now that I know new software will come via the sat stream

10. Chris24

Chris24 Cool Member

Oct 7, 2009
    My Tivo unit does not make a phone call also.I don`t pay any attention to it unless it cause a problem for watching tv.