1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

THR22 how long available?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by mccoady, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Jul 3, 2014 #1 of 28
    mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Can someone can provide an estimated guess on how much longer D* will be offering the TiVo THR22.
    I ask this because my son didn't upgrade his SD TiVo a couple of months ago when we we're eligible for an equipment upgrade... I did though. He definitely wants/needs to upgrade at some point to the THR22 but would like to wait until we're eligible again to avoid paying full price.

I talked to rep at Office of the President and they couldn't/wouldn't verify if they would still be available in even 2 years... what do you think?

What is this Enhanced Content bug I see guys complaining about I don't think my son's SD TiVo has it?

2. Jul 3, 2014 #2 of 28
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I am just lost on why he'd want that over a genie. Honestly I know that's not what you are asking, but it just doesn't do enough to consider IMHO.

As for how long, I'd guess they have a warehouse full of them still and it will be till they are out of them, which likely will be ages since they don't seem to be very popular.

3. Jul 3, 2014 #3 of 28
    mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Well I didn't mention it but he is blind and has found a way to navigate the TiVo menu via the sounds and just being familiar with it. Don't ask me how be does it but has for years... he's tried to use my Genie but he can't.

4. Jul 3, 2014 #4 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    While this is a special case, I know that there are quite a few that are fiercely loyal to that UI.

5. Jul 3, 2014 #5 of 28
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Nobody here knows how much longer DirecTV will provide the THR22. But you have a valid concern.

6. Jul 3, 2014 #6 of 28
    mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Are you saying I shouldn't be surprised if they suddenly quit offering them then?

7. Jul 3, 2014 #7 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They do have a very limited customer base, while DirecTV does run ads for it they generally aren't well promoted, and they don't have the advantages of the modern Tivos like the Roamio. And Tivo has pretty much forgotten about them in terms of updates etc. Of course this last part works to your son's advantage.

But none of us can really say what the situation will be in two years on availability. Supposedly there are a lot of them sitting around like Susan B. Anthony's.

8. Jul 3, 2014 #8 of 28
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If past usage tells us anything about these TiVOs, it will be 5 years before DirecTV® runs out of them.

9. Jul 3, 2014 #9 of 28
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Directv dealers are already unable to get THR22s and when DIRECTV's own warehouses are out of them, that's it.

10. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanks Stuart that's the kind of information I was looking for!

I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that D* had a contract with TiVo until 2017 apparently that's not correct. Are you able to share if there will be a newer TiVo or if D* is through with TiVo?

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Based on the history of the THR22, I wouldn't count on an updated model, certainly any time soon. I believe the THR22 was released two years late. I don't know their contract, but there could also be escape clauses. They also have an agreement with TiVO regarding patent licensing.

12. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok well we've got some decisions to make then can someone answer these questions:

1. Considering his old SD TiVo works fine without any issues (have replaced the HD a few times) what are the major bugs the THR22 has that would be hard to live with?

2. With the THR22 being discontinued what if you got one and needed a replacement for one reason or another?

3. Do you foresee in the near future D* forcing customers to give up their SD TiVo's and upgrade to a HD DVR?

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    1. Dont have a TiVO so can't comment

2. Pretty sure DirecTV® may have TiVOs on their warehouse for some time to come.

3. Eventually all customers will have to upgrade to HD, whether if by this time there are still offering the HD TiVo, dont know.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Ah I remember now why you need a TiVo for him. Personally I'd try and upgrade sooner rather than latter, maybe see if you can get them to cut you a deal anyway even though it hasn't been to long. They do have a deal with DIRECTV that lasts till 2017, it includes a patent agreement and other things, not just this box, and no one knows how long they are supposed to support them. I would imagine they are refurbing them just like any others, so maybe they will be supported for quite a while.

The only big bug ihave heard about is the forcing of updates at certain times I think late at night, you'd have to look through to find out for sure, but I don't think its something that would keep me from pulling the trigger myself. But you might want to read about it first.

15. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Well I've already talked to the Office of the President and floated the idea of getting a discount but she said to check back in 3 to 6 months which could be too late.

There are so many internet threads complaining about the THR22 (about one thing or another) that it's hard to distinguish between a major bug and some quirk they don't like.

Are there any THR22 users here that could list the major bugs (or quirks hard to live with) so we can make an educated decision whether to acquire one now, or sit tight and hope D* doesn't make my son give up his SD TiVo anytime soon?

16. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If your son was happy with the older DirecTivo, he'll be happy with the THR22. There really aren't any major bugs or quirks to worry about.

17. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanks everyone... have a couple more questions.

If we end up having to pay full price for the THR22 will D* install it for free?

If a THR22's hard drive goes bad (and with no replacements in inventory) is adding an external drive a workable solution? I've changed out the internal drive on my son's SD TiVo a couple of times but we do own it.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Only DirecTV® can tell you about that. It varies from account to account

19. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you already have HD, I really don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to install it yourself. It's easier than replacing a hard drive :)