1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three HDDVRs, two software releases, three guide options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kram, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    I have three HDDVRs: HR24-200 and two HR23-700. Software release 0x04d1 is installed on the HR24 and on one HR23. Release 0x04d2 is installed on the other HR23.

The strange thing is that each receiver seems to display different CinemaPlus options:

• HR-24 - Limited "watch now" choices; "Harry Potter" is watch now; "Change Up" is download only
    • HR23 (1) - More "watch now" choices; "Change Up" is watch now; "Harry Potter" is download only
    • HR23 (2) - No "watch now" options; all movies are "coming soon" (can only add to queue)

In addition, "Cars 2" has been blocked (greyed out) on the splash page for three (3) days.

I reported these issues to Case Management (escalated tech support), who escalated them to engineering. The "Cars 2" block is a known issue. The rep told me that different software releases may display different options. However, she couldn't explain why I have three different viewing options of three different receivers. This also was escalated to engineering. So far, no response or resolution.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? (Yes, I restarted all the boxes....)

:confused:

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    1. Cinema plus information comes down with the guide data, so that may account for some of the differences.

2. The watch now options are often items that have been downloaded to your DVR, which is why they are available right away. Since they download during times your DVR is not in use, they will also vary based in timing.

Actually, I would see it as a benefit that the different boxes have different options, as that expands the available "watch now" options. This is especially helpful if you have MRV. However, it likely not planned to be different, just randomly what was available to download when each DVR decided it was available to download.

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I wish there was a way for them to push different movies to each DVR in my home, with MRV that would give me many more instant choices.

What you are seeing may be due to using one DVR for a recording at the time a movie was being pushed and that receiver just didn't get it yet.

Pretty much the same thought as DogLover. :)

4. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    I think I figured out one of the issues: One of the HR23 boxes is a recent replacement (Friday) for an HR20-100 that died. This box has no internet connection, which would explain the "Coming soon" messages.

The other HR23 was my main receiver (before being replaced by the HR24) for two years, and was connected to the internet for all that time. I think that explains why there are more "watch now" viewing choices on that receiver.

But the Case Management rep I just talked to said that the only way the green "watch now" arrows display is if a movie has been manually downloaded. I was quick to dispute this because a) I'm the only one who lives here, and b) I never downloaded some of the green-arrow "watch now" movies.

Anyway, a special Case Management technician is coming to my house on Wednesday to sort this all out -- unless someone can explain it!

Thanks.

5. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    The movies PPV movies that are in your guide with the little banner and the green arrow are usually new releases that have been pushed to your receiver and they come from the satellite and are recorded while the background tuner is not in use. No movies come over the internet unless you were to download a VOD.

6. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    OK, so that shoots my "no internet connection" theory to heck (and tells me that the rep's "advanced" knowledge leaves something to be desired ;), since she told me a connection was required to receive PPV).

Any ideas about why the "coming soon" on the box that's been active for more than 72 hours??

7. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I would say give it time, I don't know when or how they decide to push the movies, if it's only been active for a few days they still may show up.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There will be NOTHING a tech can do to resolve your issue. It will be a waste of your time and his.

The watch now titles are pushed to your dvrs at off peak hours. They may or may not eventually end up will all the same titles.

9. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Cancelled the tech. All seems to be OK now.