1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

time bar banner removal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jfolliard, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1 of 11
    jfolliard

jfolliard AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    HR20 -

Is there a tweak to eliminate that bottom banner with the time bar which always pops up when reviewing a recording and hitting reverse, forward, stop etc?

It is often annoying when going back and forth reviewing sports plays. It stays up for a few seconds. I know I can hit the exit key but I'd rather not have to do that each and every time.

Thanks.

Jack

2. Nov 3, 2008 #2 of 11
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The only time it wont show up is for skip forward or replay... And when i say skip, i mean 30 second skip... not slip... slip still shows the trickplay.. to activate skip, do a keyword search for 30skip and select all for catagories and sub catagories.. after the search returns no results, then watch somthting and use the slip button.. it will now skip!

3. Nov 3, 2008 #3 of 11
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Hit play and it goes away. You can also hit play while watching a recording to pop up the time bar to see where you are.

So if your RRW and hit play, just hit play a second time and it goes away.

4. Nov 3, 2008 #4 of 11
    Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    If you want it to go away while you are FF or RW then hit exit.

5. Nov 3, 2008 #5 of 11
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Be careful of hitting EXIT if you are watching a recording from the Playlist, as if you mis-time it or get key-bounc, pressing EXIT can throw you out to live TV. If you're recording sports and using the DLB workaround to watch two games at once, and you're behind on both, there's nothing worse than being thrown to live TV to see the scores in 'realtime'!

If you do get thrown to live TV, hit PREV to go back to the recording, but that won't undo you knowning the score.

Another option it to tap BLUE twice regardless of what you're doing (FFW, Slip, Rew, etc.) as this brings up and closes the Mini-Guide, and you won't be thrown to live TV.

It would be great if DIRECTV gave us custom options to control the display of the progress bar, for example, setting a duration just as we can with the Info Banner, as I would set mine to disappear in 2 seconds.

6. Nov 3, 2008 #6 of 11
    Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    Good point. Exit will work but can have unintended consequences. ;)

7. Nov 4, 2008 #7 of 11
    miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    I agree with you that it's very annoying, especially when watching sports (e.g., skipping between plays in a football game).

Having to hit PLAY to remove it is OK when skipping a commercial, but is way annoying for sports viewing (and it actually sometimes brings the bar back on!).

For my use, SLIP is better than SKIP, so that's not a good option.

If you haven't, please go to the Wish List and vote for changing this. Maybe by next football season we'll get some relief...

8. Nov 4, 2008 #8 of 11
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Strange. I watch hockey all the time delayed or even the next day and don't have any problems with the time bar. FFW hit play, hit play again if I'm annoyed by the bar. Easy. But then we are all different.

9. Nov 5, 2008 #9 of 11
    Laker44

Laker44 Godfather

Jun 18, 2008
    Brian&Drew thanks for your tips and warning.I knew about the blue button,but had forgot about hitting the exit key.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The "Option for the PROGRESS BAR to clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE" is one of our most popular and long-standing Wish List requests.

For those that haven't yet let DirectTV know how they value this request, you can do so at the link below. TIA. /steve

11. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Good point. I was probably too general in my "sports viewing" statement. It mainly comes down to it being a PITA for skipping between plays while watching football, when you're using it every few seconds. If it were just to get through commercials or long "dead time" (time outs, reviews, etc.) it wouldn't be an issue.