1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for annual plea to DirecTV: PLEASE make the progress bar go away more quickly!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by miss_my_utv, Jul 15, 2010.

1. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Time for the annual (3rd?) plea in hopes of a fix before the college football season starts. Previous thread at

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=141398

First post of that thread:

I held off on this post for a few weeks into the college football season, but now I really need to make this plea:

PLEASE make the progress bar disappear more quickly when using '30 sec slip'! PLEASE!

Yes, I know (at one point, at least) it's on the Wish List.

And, yeah, I've read it doesn't appear if you switch to '30 sec skip'

And, yeah, I know you can make it go away by hitting PLAY a couple of times.

But, slip works better than skip for FF between plays (you can stop FF if they start a play before 30 sec - very common in CFB); needing to hit PLAY is just plain annoying.

This really shouldn't be that hard to fix, there are multiple acceptable options (e.g., don't show it at all, make the display time programmable like banners), and it would really improve the "experience".

So, DirecTV, please help us sports viewers (who spend all the extra $s for Game Plan, etc.) have a better experience with your DVRs. Please fix this soon!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Pressing > or exit seems to clear it here.

3. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I think it has been resolved on any of my HR2* whenever using Rew,FF or skip the progress bar doesn't come up at all

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    That's what works for me, I still don't get the uproar over the bar being there. The score is generally at the top of the screen so it's not like you are missing any of the action. OK maybe you miss one of the receivers going in motion.....no big deal right?

5. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I had the progress bar showing during the All-Star game so in this NR it's still there.

6. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Ok i'm on ce that might explain it :D

7. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Mine doesn't come up anymore either.

7 weeks from tonight till CFB starts

8. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    It needs a redesign also. Maybe if it wasn't so big and butt-ugly we wouldn't mind it being on the screen for an extra couple of seconds.

-mk

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Yep....hate it.

10. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    +1

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    + another 1.

I've become accustomed to pressing play twice (to come out of pause) but it still seems ridiculously counter-ergonomic to have to do that.

C'mon, DTV, throw us a bone, here.

12. D1DAVE

D1DAVE Cool Member

Feb 24, 2006
    + yet another 1 here. Butt ugly for sure.

13. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    For me it covers up the "crawls" at the bottom. Yup, I hate it.;)
    Bullseye! The only thing worse is the last big screen for DP. It takes longer to clear and it's bigger.:(

14. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Amen - Microsoft Media Center's progress bar is the gold standard.

PS - I'd also use the channel logo instead of the huge DirecTV logo. "Dear DirecTV - We know we're using DirecTV and don't need DirecTV logos everywhere on our DirecTV DVR. Thank you, An otherwise happy customer"

15. SlimyPizza

SlimyPizza Legend

Oct 14, 2006

Since you bring it up, I wish there was a 0 sec option in the programming for Banner Time. 2, 4, and 6 secs is nice, I guess, but I'd be happy with 0 and 2 secs as the only options. Does anybody really choose 6 secs? So having 0 and 2 sec options for the appearance of the progress bar (and banner time) would be a welcomed change. The less obtrusive "stuff" on my screen the better.

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hmm .. I just use the exit button or let it dismiss on it's own ..

17. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Having an option to set the timeout would be a nice feature.

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think most folks who took the Wish List survey agree, because they've made this a "Top 10" request:

"The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function (or after the last ADVANCE), and just display for a half-second when hitting PAUSE."

The info balloon reads: "This request is intended to prevent the PROGRESS BAR from blocking Closed Captions, sports/news tickers, part of the football field during a play, etc."

19. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I'm another that'd like to see the progress bar spiffed up a bit. But then again, if that's in the docket, then I think the whole UI would on the chopping block also. That said, it'll probably stay as-is for quite awhile.

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Same here.

In some cases...a shorter time would actually not be good, as I'd want more than a second or less to view the banner for remaining time.