1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for channel number reorg?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by wilbur_the_goose, May 19, 2012.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I think it's officially time for a channel number reorg.

Reasons:
    1. Sports are all over the place - for example, put NBC Sports Net near the Golf Channel.
    2. News channels are all over the place.
    3. Shopping channels are all over the place.
    4. etc....

I know the old story about CNN paying for 202/204 and ESPN paying for 206, but I'm doubting that's true anymore

What do you think? Is it time for a shuffle like we had when USSB sold out to D*?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Would series links automatically follow?

3. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    While I totally agree with you and hope it happens, I am just finally remembering what channels are what.

With DVR's this day and age channel numbers seem less important but I do agree that I think it's needed. If anything just change a few, like you said CNN/ESPN. Put NatGeo Wild next to NatGeo, stuff like that.

I would sure bet Series links would follow (it would follow the network/show not channel) but again this isn't going to happen ANY TIME soon, if at all.

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree. Almost 5 years ago, with the coming of the HD channels, I asked a similar question. About 75% of the voters were in favor of a re-shuffle.

5. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    While I do agree it wouldn't hurt, none of you must not have ever had cable. Because their idea of order is throw the HD channels together and Premiums together. And thats IT!
    Out of Cable, Directv and Dish

Directv is the most organized. Dish is also very close, might even be the same now since I've left them.

If they just put ESPNs and NFL ,MLB,NHL Tennis and so on in the 600's and then Cnn in the Upper 300's with the rest of the news channels.
    That would be a very orgaized list.

6. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    well ESPN is near NHL,NFL,MLB net and NBA TV Now NBCSN should move near there. Big ten and cbs sports can stay near the RSN's. (big ten is RSN like)

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The 600's don't have room for ESPNs and NFL ,MLB,NHL Tennis.

Even more so with the new RSN's coming (room for missing RSN's) and pac12.

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    You are right. BUT, ESPN actually gives a price break for channel placement. They even dictate the order the 4 ESPNs are in. In a perfect world, all national sports channels would be in the low 600s, followed by the regional sports channels.

Same answer. CNN, the former market leader, dictated the channel position. Again in a perfect world, it would be grouped in the mid 300s like the others.

Like all thinking persons, I delete and block all shopping channels.

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Dont want a change.

I have a favorites list of 70 channels so doesnt take long to channel guide thru them all.

Even if you group all the sports channels together there will still be sports showing up on channels not in the grouping like when TNT, TBS have games so all the games really arent together anyway.

10. Boston_bill

Boston_bill Icon

Jul 23, 2009
    eh, I have no issues remembering where my favorite channels are.

11. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Well they would, if they would drop some of the unused alternate channels. There is way to many! But I know you can't be number one in sports with only 3 MSG Alternates instead of 6:rolleyes:

Incase they forgot Dish doesn't even have MSG so not sure what they are worried about LOL!:lol:

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Comcast just did that here. It is really nice having all the channels in order.
    They just left the original channel mapping (channels all over the place) below 1000, and duplicated all the HD channels only, starting at 1000, in groups of 1000. Locals are 1000-1099, News from 1100-1199, etc. Its really nice. I just block everything below 1000, then selectively enable the few non-HD channels in the <1000 range I want to watch.

My HTPC actually lets me take all its inputs (DirecTv, Comcast, FTA satellite), and create my own remapping. I can make any channel any number I want, but just remapped the DirecTv channels to match Comcasts.

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Channel numbers don't matter as much in a world where DVR usage is continually increasing (since the name of the show/event is much more important than the channel number).

14. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Directv does a pretty good job of organizing their channels and has occasionally moved channels around. For instance, Bravo was moved awhile back to better reflect it's change into more of a female-targetted programmer, so now it sits next to E!.

The comments about CNN and ESPN being out of alignment pop up all the time, but there's never been any indication that Directv is going to move them.

And don't forget, QuickTune lets you easily access up to nine of your favorites just by hitting the up arrow on your remote. It may be tough for some families to agree on just nine, but it's a place to start.

15. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    honestly, I just want to see all the sports channels in the guide together. I know I can have a custom list with just these channels, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Of course, we could do what my 1997-era D* RCA box did - color code the shows by program type.

16. Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    I think I was one of the few people on Earth who enjoyed getting the new cable lineups in the mail and seeing how fast I could memorize the new lineups.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some like having the HD channels separated. I hate it, but know someone that prefers it to the DirecTV method.

18. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    The lineup now as it is works for me.I have no problem with it.Maybe put WGN down in the 240s with TBS & TNT.I thought that CNN & the ESPN's are where they are due to contracts ?

19. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    How do I block the shopping channels? There are way too many of them..

20. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I think ESPN and CNN have it in there contract to be where they are. back when directv moved the channels last time ESPN and CNN did not move.