1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for XBOX 360 MRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jmf243, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...
    I remember a year or two ago there was talk of a D* "Blade" on the XBOX 360 which would allow for MRV streaming from a D* DVR. With Directv2pc and the development of MRV by Directv I would think it would be easy to stream to the 360 as well as a client. My two HRs show up as media servers on my PS3 already (although nothing is accesible). Are there any rumors of new developments on this front?

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You are probably thinking of the HDPC-20 which has at the very least been put on indefinite hold.

3. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...
    No, there was definite talk of D* coming to XBOX 360. It was going to be one of the "blades" and let the XBOX 360 act as a media extender from a D* DVR (HR20 at the time.) The XBOX 360 interface has changed with the NXE winter update and they offer Netflix streaming as well as their own media download service in their own individual media sections. I don't think it would be too hard for Microsoft to impliment D* MRV into the NXE interface, that is if their relationship with D* is still there.

4. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    I would think the D* priority would be getting MRV to work with there current IRDs before they bring it to a game console. I know that the PS3 is DLNA compliant whereas the xbox360 is not. So I would think that it would be easier to implement it to the PS3. I am pretty sure that the PS3 supports HDCP and I am not too sure that the Xbox360 does. That would be the first step in supporting MRV on one of these consoles. I am not sure that MRV will be coming to these console but maybe Tom or Doug knows more on this?

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    But Directv has a current relationship with Microsoft and none with Sony. So I would guess 360 before PS3 if anything, but you never know ;)

6. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    Very true. I also figure with the economic downturn that D* won't be putting this type of project in their budget for right now.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I won't say this rumor wasn't out there, but I sure don't remember it .. There certainly wasn't anything like this at CES last year.

8. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Doug, there was definitley something out there regarding this. Either a PR from Microsoft or DirecTV as well IIRC.

9. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I tracked this one down and it just shows how careful you have to be when reading this stuff. Endgadget published this information in February of 2006 along with a picture of an XBox 360 blade with DirecTV on it. Here's where the problem comes in... they got it from XBox Magazine which clearly labeled it nothing but a rumor. No Press Release from either Microsoft or DirecTV. I have attached the picture that appeared.. Please note the use of the terms "mole" and "scuttlebut".

However, in the original press release announcing the deal between Microsoft and DirecTV there was this sentence: "Deal will enable flow of high-quality digital content between Windows-based PCs, DIRECTV set-top boxes, PlaysForSure devices and the Xbox 360 system."

This makes sense in that had the HDPC-20 been completed, Windows Media Center would have been available from the PC to the XBOX360 as an extender and thus would have placed the Media Center/DirecTV interface on your screen thru the XBox 360.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Larry,

Thanks for digging this up .. At this point with the HDPC-20 being cancelled, it looks like the result for the Xbox360 is that it's done as well.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    "Cancelled" is a very strong word and one that was not used by DIRECTV in announcing the suspension of the HDPC-20.

12. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    Would you prefer "not happening in the relevant future?"

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When they followed the suspension announcement up with a statement that they were continuing to explore the Pee Cee viewing space, I'm not sure that works for me either.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    "Suspended indefintely" and "cancelled" tend to have very similar lifespans. :D