1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to buy new bedsheets, but what kind???

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1 of 20
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Here's my "dilemma"...

I have a meager gift card to use at Amazon, and because I love so much the microfiber fleece queen size bedsheet set I stumbled upon last fall on Amazon--I ended up buying them and LOVE them!--I'm trying to figure out what kind of bedsheets there would make a good "regular" set; that is, what kind would be good for spring and summer months when I want to be cool and comfortable when sleeping?

Unlike many people, I like my bedroom much cooler than the rest of my place. I cannot STAND being hot or sweating when sleeping. In fact, even in the middle of a cold winter I pop open my window an inch or two and have a fan on low to keep it comfortably cool to sleep. Despite this, in the winter I love sleeping on flannel sheets, but now use the aforementioned microfiber fleece ones. OMG! Those are simply indescribable. Plus, as someone who, uh...sleeps with very little on (if you know what I mean), the feel against my skin is awesome. (I just can't stand sleeping with PJs or other stuff on, as I'm a side sleeper who tosses and turns all the time in his sleep, so getting clothing stuck in my crotch doesn't go over well with me.) But I digress.

So, what kind of queen size bedsheets should I look for? Remember, I want to feel cool (so no to microfiber or overly cottony sheets, I guess) and comfortable. It's been such a long time since I've last purchased regular bedsheets that I'm a bit stumped. I figure with all the smart folks here, I might hear of some good suggestions.

2. Apr 2, 2012 #2 of 20
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    LV, I have been chasing this rabbit for 20 years. Since then I can only give you a hint to Google the governments web site on thread count regulation.
    But this is a fight you can't win yet. It all boils down to a battle of whether the threads cross once to create a soft feel or they cross in multiple plys to give it a burlap feel. There are purist companies you can trust and some that sell you a tarp that says it is 1400 TC. I will send you a link when I can dig it up from years ago from the department of Agriculture that lists the companies that seem to comply with common standards.
    I spend hundreds every few years on a single set of king sheets.

3. Apr 2, 2012 #3 of 20
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Simple answer: Silk or Polyester Satin. Slick and cool. Stay away from cotton if you want a really cool feel. Thread count of 300 to 500.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #4 of 20
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I use satin-like microfiber sheets (not the fuzzy kind) exclusively, year-round. They are both cool in Summer and warm in cold weather. Very luxurious.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #5 of 20
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The Man and the Satyr

A Man and a Satyr once drank together in token of a bond of alliance being formed between them. One very cold wintry day, as they talked, the Man put his fingers to his mouth and blew on them. When the Satyr asked the reason for this, he told him that he did it to warm his hands because they were so cold. Later on in the day they sat down to eat, and the food prepared was quite scalding. The Man raised one of the dishes a little towards his mouth and blew in it. When the Satyr again inquired the reason, he said that he did it to cool the meat, which was too hot. "I can no longer consider you as a friend," said the Satyr, "a fellow who with the same breath blows hot and cold."

6. Apr 2, 2012 #6 of 20
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    ;)

[YOUTUBE]tSiYoB6_G4I[/YOUTUBE]

7. Apr 2, 2012 #7 of 20
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Higher the thread count, the better the quality

8. Apr 2, 2012 #8 of 20
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That doesn't always seem to be the case.

9. Apr 3, 2012 #9 of 20
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried the silk sheets years ago. We kept sliding off them in the middle of...well, you know.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno. I just bought a "hotel quality" flat sheet, cost me $250 and it wasn't worth it. Bought it at Macys. Should have known better.

If I was gonna buy new sheets, I'd buy them at BB&Beyond. Have to keep trying them until you find a set you like and they have a very liberal return policy.

Rich

11. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The price of luxury! !rolling

12. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Does it do the same thing if one is by oneself? :whatdidid

13. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    In my experience with satin sheets, yes.

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    A little velcro on the sheet and on the feet and your all set.

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No, there is no leverage involved

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    This thread is reminiscent of last week's episode of The Big Bang Theory.

17. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My experience with satin sheets was shocking in that if I got in bed with a certain sliding motion, a hefty static charge built up such that when I touched the lamp on the night stand I received a shock which woke me up all over again.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, you'll just find yourself sliding around. The pillows wouldn't stay still either. The blankets slid. Took them back rather quickly.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nothing helped.

Rich

20. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    They have these things called humidifiers, you know. ;)

Even though I use a large console one for my main living room, I have a small floor model for my bedroom. Works wonders.