1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to explain yourselves, how did you come up with that name?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I posted this question once before, but I figured with all the new members I would ask again.

If most of you are like me...you probably wonder where all the different 'handles' or nicknames many of you use come from. If you dont mind explaining your names, reply to this thread and make all of us a little more well known to each other. :)

It's quit obvious some of you use your real name, but many don't.

2. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    Ahh, but the Maniacal One *is* my real name.

For many years, I've done some freelance statistical work in baseball. When I first started, Peter Gammons nicknamed me "The Maniacal One" in one of his columns. Apparently my long, Polish last name was too much for mere sportswriters to handle.

Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe did a feature story on me shortly after I started, and he institutionalized "The Maniacal One" forever. When I started doing a weekly bit for the Red Sox over-the-air television broadcasts, they wanted to call it "A Message from the Maniacal One" and they used as a graphic the avatar you see here.

Far more people know me as The Maniacal One than know me by Chuck.

3. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Bowling For Soup is the name of a band I listen to. I thought it would be a good idea for a screename, but now I'm kind of sick of it and I'd rather have my real name as my screename instead. Is it possible to change it?

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That is a great name for a band though. I have no idea who they are, but I like the name. We should have a thread for band names, real or fictional. I would be happy to start with the fictional name "The Exploding Dumpsters", a punk band.

5. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Sloppy Meateaters - a real punk band from Georgia.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The handle is a anagram of my last name.

7. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 24, 2002
    Mitya is something like a nickname for Dmitriy in Russia and I use it in lots of places.

8. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Mark is my real first name. My parents gave it to me:)

9. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Bogy is not indicative of my golfing skills, it is a nickname based upon my last name, Boogerd. Goes back to high school and college, and back in the days of CB radio it was my handle.

10. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I am not sure how I came up with mine. :D

11. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    jrjcd-last three letters are my initials and since i was named after my dad, the "jr"(i actually reversed them because a long time ago in a galaxy far far away hotmail already had a "jcdjr")

12. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    James is my first name and F is the first initial of my last.... The underscore signifies the coming together of both names… :)

13. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Obviously it's my real name but most people mis-pronounce it. My last name is "Blount" which rhyms with "Count".

That damn football player Mel Blount screwed it up for all of us when he called himself Mel Blunt. Most people who mess it up live in the southeast. For some reason, people in Tennesse are the worst.

14. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'll leave Derryberry to your imagination.

15. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I am neither Spanish nor am I an announce table.

Anybody here watch WWE Raw ? :D

"Oh my God, Austin's been broken in half ! The Undertaker just put him through the table !" - Good Ol' JR

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Everywhere else but here I go by a derivation of my name, Steve Jay Shem. Which is my first name and middel name followed by my last name spelled backwards. The e in my last name is pronounced like an a making my last name pronounced 'Mays'.

17. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    It is part of an elaborate identity theft. :)

18. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    The 27 is the age when I first got an internet connection. I guess after being on the net for 6 years I'm not a Newbie anymore :)

Gee, 6 years ago most of the internet was just pages with text and links to more text. :D

19. navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    i was in the navy for 20 years and i love playing 8 ball.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "My last name is "Blount" which rhymes with 'Count'."

As opposed to the other pronunciation, "blunt", which rhymes with

I didn't say it! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.