1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to go back to Comcast?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Red Orc, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    A few weeks ago my DTV DVR quit working (Wouldn't boot). The technician couldn't fix it so I had DTV send me a new DVR. After they sent me the new one I got the old one working thanks to the information on this forum. I called DTV and told them that I didn't need the replacement DVR and I was sending it back. I was told not to because it would get sent to the wrong warehouse and I would be charged for it. I was told that would be sent a new shipping label. A couple of weeks go by and no shipping label. I finally decided to call DTV and see what's going on but when I got home the new shipping label was finally there (FedEx!). I read the directions on the label several times & they specifically said to take the box to the post office which I did. Last week I pay my bill and see that I'm being charged for this DVR that I returned on 11/12.
    I called DTV and complained but they insist that they haven't received the DVR and they refuse to take the charge off my account until they get it.
    I am just about ready to tell these people to take a flying leap into a deep piss-filled lake and go back to Comcast. It seems like DTV go out of their way to make everything as difficult convoluted and irritating as possible. \rant

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Do you have any documentation that you dropped it off at the Post Office?

It's only been ten days so give it a little more time before jumping ship. :)

3. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't have a tracking number but I do have a receipt. It shows the post office location date and some ridiculously long "label number"

4. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    they probably just havent got it yet and that bill was made up in advance. and trust me i wortked for comcast for a long time , they invented this problem. They lose more equiptment and this same issue has happenned 1 million times with comcast. people take there equiptment right to a comcast payment center and get a return receipt and they still send you a bill saying they never got it. you buy your own cable modem and you cancel service they send you a bill saying its theirs and u have to prove u bought it. a technician picks up all your boxes and never turns them in , u get a bill saying they never got them.

5. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    When you called DirecTV did you read that number off so they could go to the USPS web site and confirm?

6. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I tried it at usps.com myself and it spits back an error. It doesn't seem to be a tracking number :(

7. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    When I left Comcast I returned my DVR and my original cable modem and didn't have a problem like that...Maybe I just got lucky

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Almost all of DIRECTV shipments are via FedEx. I have no idea what would happen to a package with a Fedex label if you dropped it off at the post office, or UPS, or anyplace else other than Fedex.

You might try going to Fedex tracking and see if that long tracking number works. If not, just for grins try UPS.

9. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    In some areas of the country DirecTV is using a hybrid return shipping method (I think it's called Smart Post, but a lot of the time it doesn't seem so smart). The return package is dropped off at a US Post Office, and it is then shipped by USPS to a regional FedEx facility for delivery completion via FedEx. There have been many posts here about problems with this shipping method.

The OP is actually ahead of the game if he was provided with a receipt upon dropping off the box at the post office. Unfortunately, the tracking numbers seem to rarely work in the USPS system, and if they do the data is extremely time late.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Try typing the tracking number into Google (just the number).

11. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    The directions said to take the box to the post office. I reread it several times because I thought I had read it wrong. When I gave her the package she scanned the bar code on it and their system accepted it. If it wa ssupposed to be dropped off at fed ex you would think the usps system would have returned an error or something when she scanned it.
    I tried the number at fed ex & ups and they both said it wasn't a valid tracking number.

12. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Tried that too
    Your search - 420569509158901003533033 - did not match any documents :(

13. scsa1000

scsa1000 AllStar

Feb 11, 2011
    I was going to say why would you not get a tracking number with something important and this expensive but read that you had one maybe you read it wrong the number.

14. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    DTV sent a prepaid shipping label. I'm not sure if you can get a tracking number for those.

15. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    Check your receipt again. I think you are missing two numbers (the ?? that I added to your quote)

I have a smart label package that I dropped off last week. It looks like this:
    420 56901 9158 9010 0705 7001 9086 53

By the way, the start of the tracking number starts at "9158" The 5 digit number after 420 is the zip code that its going to.

16. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010

Also, I just looked at my USPS receipt, the last two numbers are on the next line down all the way to the left. (this is of course your receipt looks like mine which it should.

17. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    @(*&*&%%$&IU^&^%$R*&*&^%%$^&%!!!!!
    I was missing SIX numbers!
    The numbers are tiny as hell on the receipt so I went back to the 600 dpi scan I made of it.
    I dropped it off on the 12. Whatever boneheaded incompetent brain damaged "shipping agent" it was transferred to didn't pick it up until the 18th! Who did these people partner with a couple of drunk brain damaged crack addicted monkeys?!?! \rant
    So it's on its way and at the rate it's traveling DTV might get it by the crack of doom...
    Or maybe the day after...

18. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    Yeah, they take snail mail to a whole new meaning.

One way or the other, you should be off the hook for the receiver. Call DTV and give them that number.

19. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I feel your frustration!
    I had the same thing happen with me and the evil corporation known as AT&T.

I sent a Uverse modem back via USPS and they have never received it. This was back in Sept. AT&T had sent a USPS label in the original packaging just for this purpose.

I did not get a receipt at the post office....was told I didn't need one....and AT&T swears it went UPS and that I need to get the tracking number.

I should be whipped for even trying AT&T after all the problems I had with them when I tried their cell phone service a few years back. Never again.

20. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one AT&T was driving nuts with their cel service. Reception was very good - billing practices were not. I got tired of my bill jumping up to over $300 for no reason. When I called to ask what was going on all they said was for me to check my online account because all the information would be there (It wasn't).