1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to pull the plug on Cablevision?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 1, 2002 #1 of 14
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
  2. Oct 1, 2002 #2 of 14
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Interesting reading. It appears to be time to short CVC, or at least buy some puts on them.

3. Oct 1, 2002 #3 of 14
    cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    I, for one, hope they go out of business and sell their cable service to a competent company. In the NY area and still no cable Internet....amazing.

Not to mention, Steinbrenner would get the last laugh (not really a reason to root for closure, though).

Cablevision has had poor leadership and vision. Now they're also trying to get into the satelitte business.....good luck....

The only bad thing is that the workers for Cablevision who kill themselves will be the real losers in the end and that's never a good thing these days.

4. Oct 1, 2002 #4 of 14
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002

They are trying the best that they can. Out of all the Cable Companies out there Cablevison is the only one that gives true broadband for competitive price. I wish i had cablevison:(

5. Oct 1, 2002 #5 of 14
    Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    You're lucky if you can even be QUALIFIED for their broadband service! Like cnsf said, alot of Cablevision subs in the NY Metro area (one of the most densely populated areas in the country) can't even get OptimumOnline, nor OptimumTV (their cable TV service). Their analog cable TV service, plagued with frequent price hikes, is awful too. I wish there was a reputable cable provider in my area so that I would have a decent alternative to Dish Network if something were to happen.

6. Oct 2, 2002 #6 of 14
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002

Thats because of the NYC Goverment and the LandLords. They are stalling the upgrades.

7. Oct 2, 2002 #7 of 14
    cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Way off base. I live in Westchester where landlords are not as big an issue as within the 5 boroughs. They have not yet upgraded their infrastructure to carry the digital signal in most of my area. It's a matter of replacing switches and distribution points, not asking landlords for permission. It's also a matter of upgrading physical cable quality to prevent wire burnout at the last mile level (i.e. better insluated cable like RG-6).

What could the landlords say to prevent upgrades? IF the cable runs into the building, there's already a juncture that could be upgraded to carry Internet signals.....

8. Oct 2, 2002 #8 of 14
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    The Ultra Orthodox Jewish Community in Brooklyn is stalling the upgrades they dont want cablevison in certian areas or at all. Some Orthdox Jewish Landlords dont allow TV Cables to go into buildings.

9. Oct 2, 2002 #9 of 14
    cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Scott, I thought the FCC law forbids that and requires them to allow access to either cable and/or satellite.

I can see it happening in Crown Heights without much of a fight...religious reasons, landmark structures, etc. Sounds like the Ultra Orthodox areas in Israel that throw rocks at cars on Saturday who drive through. Is rock throwing allowed on Shabbat anyway?

This pretty much isn't representative, though, of the rest of the NY Metro area.

10. Gemini365i

Gemini365i AllStar

Sep 7, 2002
    Well I live in Cerown Heights and he is right!

11. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Gemini, what reasons were given for not allowing the satellite? Or are they not allowing Cablevision to come in and upgrade?

My point still stands, though, on the rest of the area....

Cablevision is way behind. My fear is they'll go bankrupt before the upgrades are complete.

12. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    It is permitted for the landlord to keep cable out of a building. The landlord owns the building and if the landlord doesn't want more wires running through the building then that's the landlord's choice. It would be within my right as an owner to tell the tenent that a cable connection is not permitted if I rented out my basement as an apartment. The FCC rules only permit satellite and OTA antennas if they are placed in the tenant's exclusive area. Other than that there are no rules saying that a landlord has to provide an entry for cable, provide access to satellite, or provide an access to OTA.

CNFS, I would consider throwing rocks on Shabbat at moving vehicles a violation of the Commandments because:

1. Your action may cause harm or even kill the individual, this wouldn't be permitted at any time.
    2. Throwing a rock at a vehicle would create dents or cracks in glass and taking action to create isn't permitted.
    3. Throwing a rock is moving an object from one domain to another, this isn't permitted.

However, all Commandments may be broken in times of war or to save a life.

Most of the Ultra-Orthodox are Hassidic and follow the teaching of the Bal Shem Tov, whereas everyone else follows the teaching of the Sages and the Talmud. For example I would never dream of dancing on the Sabbath, but according to the Bal Shem Tov and the Hassidic movement it is permitted.

13. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Bryan,

So, in essence, a resident in Crown Heights could get satellite without a fight, but unless the cable is already running into the building and apartments, it's unlikely they'll get it.

As for the rest of NYC, I don't believe most landlords, actually few, will disallow cable (at least for marketability reasons).

Getting back on point, if there is already a cable running, the landlord is likely to allow an upgrade locally (if it's even necessary) to allow Internet service to be provided to the building's residents. To that end, Cablevision is still way behind and is losing money hand over fist right now.

P.S. Bryan, I am impressed with your knowledge of Jewish law. I look forward to some Potpourri threads from you on this topic....

14. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    Basically yes. Provided the apartment has a balcony, the dish isn't bolted to the building, and the dish doesn't overhang the balcony.

Depending on what the upgrade entails a landlord could stop an upgrade. A recent upgrade didn't occur in a local building because the upgrade would have moved the trunk line from the basement to along the outside of the building, at the end of the trunk line 24 boxes would have been mounted up the front of the building and 24 lines would have been run all over the outside of the building. I would have said no to the upgrade too!
    The building still gets the 18 channel Basic Package though.

BTW, You won't find me in the Potpouri forum, I always end up getting hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.