1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to Re-organize the Channel Line-Up?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Steve, Aug 31, 2007.

Should D* re-Organize the Channel Line-Up?

1. No. The line-up is fine the way it is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes. It's time for D* to re-organize the line-up.

99 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Other. Explained below.

316 vote(s)
    76.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In a recent interview, Eric Shanks, DirecTV's Entertainment EVP spoke about how the new HD channels would be numbered:

"Shanks said the new high-def channels will retain their current standard definition channel numbers. For instance, CNN HD will be channel 202, the same as the standard-def CNN.

The satcaster's HD receiver will automatically default to the HD channel when a high-def viewer turns to that channel. However, the standard-def channel will remain and can still be watched by going up or down the dial.

"We don't want people to have to learn new channel numbers," Shanks said."

I can understand assigning both the SD and HD channels to the same number. Over the next few years, some or all of the SD channels may no longer be broadcast, and D*'s approach is a clever way to manage this transition, IMO.

That being said, there will be a a significant number of new channels coming that don't have existing SD counterparts. These will have to be sprinkled among the current open channel number slots.

Should D* use the upcoming addition of 100 new channels by the end of the year (and another 50 in 2008) as an opportunity to re-organize the line-up in a more logical fashion? E.g., numerically grouping together NETWORKS, MOVIES, SPORTS, NEWS, MUSIC, DOCUMENTARY, SCIENCE, HOW TO, SHOPPING, RELIGIOUS, FOOD, HEALTH & FITNESS, etc?

I'd love to know what you think. TIA. /steve

2. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    I totally agree. Now would be a great time since they should be increasing their customer base substantially. It would be much easier to learn the new channel designations if they were grouped logically.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I voted "Yes" but I want to explain. If DIRECTV wants to reorganize the channels, now is the time. There is a perfect opportunity with new HDs coming on line.

However, I know that there are a lot of good reasons to keep things where they are... obviously with any reorganization there are going to be "winners" and "losers" and that's a lot of money involved.

My $.02 (tribute to Steve) is that things could be organized a lot more logically for me but maybe what's logical to me makes no sense to someone else.

4. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Exactly right, Stuart. Whose logic do we use - that could easily turn into a slug fest.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree it's a subjective thing, but having SHOPPING channels on 233-234 and 317-318, e.g., makes no sense to me either. And sports channels can be found all over the place.

Just my .02. :) /steve

6. OldDog

OldDog New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I have virtually no idea what stations are on which ch numbers. I have not watched live TV in 6+ years as I have mult DVRS. Even sports are recorded and watched through playback (sometimes very close to real time).

The search by category or title on the DTiVos can find everything of interest (the R15 is not as complete but still OK most of the time) so I could almost care less what DTV does with the CH numbers.

7. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Just a few changes would be fine with me. Spike and WGN should be down close to Fx and TBS. The news channels should all be in the same spot, same for religious channels and shopping, other than those few things its pretty good now.

8. gspaul

gspaul Cool Member

Oct 6, 2006
    I would welcome a more logical lineup but people like my parents and probably a high percentage of the rest of D*s customers would be irritated by a lineup change.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Years ago, I was a Cablevision customer for about 15 years, and they renumbered the channels twice during that period, so we had to learn 3 lineups. Each time they did it, it was during a period when they were adding new channels and expanding the line-up, so there was going to be somewhat of a new learning curve anyway that made the inconvenience a little more pallatable, at least in our household. /s

10. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The FIRST thing they need to do, is move IFC OUT of the premiums & with the rest of the "basic" movie channels. Considering it has not been a premium for over 4+ years, it should have been done sooner. This is one of the most confusing things I have to explain to clients, since it is the ONLY channel in this block that comes in all TC/C packages.

11. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    It would make sense to Have ESPN, BTN, etc. right before the RSNs and sports packages, put CNN with FNN and MSNBC, etc. All of the religious channels are together, the RSNs are together, PPV all together, etc. Why not the rest? MHD would make sense being with MTV, VH1, etc. Put AMC, TCM, etc. before the premium pay movies.

12. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It would be nice, but some channels pay for their position in the lineup. So I doubt that there would be much reorganizing.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ahhh. A crucial piece of information I was unaware of! I'm not doubting your word, but is your source for this information 100% reliable? TIA.

And even if so, channels could still pay to be placed first or second in whatever new number groups they need to be moved to. /s

14. wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    When you're dealing with so many channels it's hard to keep it all straight.

For me, the best solution is to create reliable "groupings" to make guide surfing easier. It would be a whole lot easier if the "Sports" channels all started at 300 and the "Movies" channels all started at 500.

This would be a great time to make the switch.

15. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    Maybe they should have a feature that lets you order your channels the way you want them...why to they have to be in number order?

16. jsquash

jsquash Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I have seen that posted here before so I'm 99.9% sure he is correct.

17. RoundRockJohn

RoundRockJohn Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    That's roughly how time warner does it. I'd be happy if Directv did this, or at least, provided an thousand block aliased that way. 5000+ organized in some what.

I'd be even happier if they'd let me create a custom channel line up via web app.

18. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    Once the new HD comes online, I think I may just build my own favorites list.

19. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I too voted "Yes" as I'd like to see them better grouped. You're going to have some people that are irritated by it, no doubt but with all the searching tools and such it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for.

If you change it, they will learn it again.

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    They last did a big reorg just after the USSB/DirecTV merger. It worked well for a while, but entropy has set in.

Time for a reorg!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.