1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Time to replace external drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gimp, May 10, 2013.

1. gimp

gimp AllStar

Jul 29, 2006
    When my hd34 froze and I rebooted I got got a scanning disk screen. Never seen this before. Rebooted successfully and is functioning normally. Is it time to replace my 2tb esata? It's probably at least three years old.

Attached Files:

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You should consider it, yes.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ

You might want to try a new external device before giving up on the hard drive. The external devices are usually at fault when you get freeze ups. You might also want to try the 34 on the internal drive and see if the same thing happens. If it does, there's something wrong with the 34.

What external device are you using?

Rich

4. gimp

gimp AllStar

Jul 29, 2006
    5+ year old Antec MX-1. Any replacement suggestions that accommodate 4tb?

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd think the MX-1 would be the problem. Try putting the HDD in this.

I don't know if a TT dock (link above) will work with a 4TB drive. RunnerFl is using around that capacity, but I think he's still using RAID external devices.

I know TT is coming out with docks that will run larger HDDs, but I'd be interested to know if the dock linked to above will support a 4TB drive. When the MX-1s came out, I think they were only rated for 1TB, but they handle 2TB drives well, as you know.

Rich

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The TT Docks I have work with a 3TB drive but I haven't tested them with a 4TB drive.