1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to replace the ViP 612

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Jimal, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jimal

Jimal Cool Member

May 31, 2008
    I've had it. I'm on my second 612 and I need to reset the box daily in order to watch TV. I tried using the coax connection (standard cable), but the HD picture is seriously compromised. I have a call in to DISH and I need to call back tomorrow to see if they can upgrade me to a different model. I'll let you know what happens.

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Coax cable connection is NEVER HD, only SD 480i.

You must either use HDMI or Component connection.

Often such problems are not necessarily the tuner, especially if multiple receiver have the SAME problems.

Look at dirty power, faulty lnb's or switches and so forth.

Of course the 612 is a new receiver and there could be software problems there.

3. Jimal

Jimal Cool Member

May 31, 2008
    The issue with the HDMI is documented elsewhere in the forum. I had the DISH folks out here and they measured everything and anything before the replaced the box last time.

4. douga

douga Cool Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Have you tried it with the component video connections? If so, how did it behave?

Doug

5. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    I use component and experience no audio/video issues. There are some minor interface issues in the software, but I get the identical quality HD and SD video from the 612 as I do from my 722 and 622's.
    I've never tried HDMI, but IIRC, the 622 had HDMI issues in its beginning also.

6. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    What do you mean HAD? I'm on my 4th 622 because of hdmi issues.

Ken