1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to unsubscribe to all the FIOS threads at AVS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spartanstew, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    As I've mentioned before, I've been trying to decide between D* and FIOS for my upcoming HD venture.

3 months ago I was set on FIOS, mainly based on the early reports of the D* DVR. I rekindled my relationship with this forum a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised with everything I read. Couple that with all of the complaints from FIOS owners in their threads at AVS (which get worse with every software upgrade) and I finally decided to stick with DirecTV.

Read for a bit in the Deals Thread and finally decided to call tonight. I think I got a pretty darn good deal. You can read about it HERE

Looks like I'm on board for the next couple of years and I'm really looking forward to trying out HD on the 126" screen in my theater.

PS. Thanks to Milominderbender2 for putting the thought in my head.

2. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    :welcome_s to the HR20! I think it's a great DVR with nothing but good things to come, and just in time for all the new HD. Glad to have you!

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Congratulations! Best of luck!

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome aboard!

So what is the engine in your 126" screen display?

Cheers,
    Tom

5. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Yes, same here, welcome aboard.

I too am interested in the engine for the 126" screen.

Maybe you can host an "HD Premier Party" on 16-Sept is it? :D

Cheers,
    John

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm using a Panny AE700U. Bought it 3 years ago when I finished my HT. It's only 720p, but standard DVD's look fantastic on it, so I'm sure HD will be stunning.

Here's a couple of screen shots with regular DVD's:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More info on my HT can be found HERE

7. robmfielding

robmfielding Cool Member

May 30, 2007
    I dumped D* in Dec 2006 and switched to Fios. What a mistake. Hideous billing and technical problems too many to bore you with, a terrible DVR and new interface and no announcement of new HD channels, plus my wife wants to see the soap "Passions" (exclusive on D*) made me switch back. D* is not perfect but unlike Verizon and the cable companies they do one thing -TV- and do it well. I held off becase of the problems with the HR20 but now with the improvements and the new HD channels I am very excited to be back.

8. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    welcome back rob! you won't be disappointed, and this forum has answers to all your questions ;)

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Boy, the promise of something fantastic when the smart money knew it was too good to be true...I'm starting to see a trend in the returning from FIOS group already.

The grass is always greener crowd always keeps it exciting.

And welcome back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.