1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner Cable Customers Sue Over CBS/Showtime Blackout

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Aug 17, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, I know there is another thread under the cable forum, but this should be of interest to a broader audience Time Warner Cable Sued by Customers Fed Up With CBS Blackout:

I hope they stick with the consumer lawsuit which cites aggressive advertising promoting Showtime, among other things.

What the lawsuit might do is challenge the whole pricing structure, particularly if litigation discovery efforts can daylight the paperwork and negotiations details. The suit is in California where it is hard to keep information away from a litigant.

I suppose it will end up being dropped, but it sure would be fun to see this provide full information on the industry which does, after all, exist in a very confusing federally regulated near monopoly bubble. This arena would not be a hearing before an industry paid-for Congress

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Might as well file suit against their local supermarket for stopping carrying the 12 oz box of Corn Chex.

Lawyers that file suits that have no basis in law are why we need the English Rule.

1 person likes this.
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well I get suing if they are still charging for show time and aren't getting it any more. But CBS, forget about it.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Apparently, these people and their lawyers can't read.

From my ISP's TOS concerning Dish bundling:

Additionally, channels available to you as part of DISH programming are subject to change without notice. You are not guaranteed any particular channel or number of channels.

I'm sure TWC has similar language.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    TWC said they would issue retroactive credits for Showtime and TMC, but as of a few days ago, customers were saying they were still getting billed for it.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And how much do you think you'd get in credit???

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I just saw a post somewhere else where that particular customer was still being charged for Showtime, and they were given Starz as a substitute. I think that's wrong, it's not an equal trade. TWC should just credit back the fees for Showtime, if they want to throw in Starz for free fine.

I don't think the "lineup can change at any time with no adjustment in price" should apply to premiums.

8. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Now we just need someone to file suit against CBS and we'll be all set, sure there's probably a few lawyers out there right now working on it.

9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I vaguely remember that when DISH was having troubles with its early DVRs for which it had no remedies, it started "accidentally" giving those customers some other desirable channels for free (HBO or Showtime, I think), presumably figuring that if a customer was inclined to call DISH and complain about the technical problems and demanding a receiver swap, he might defer from doing so out of concern that the "error" of the free channel might get discovered and corrected. Once DISH got those operational problems remedied, which I think took more than half a year, the accidental free programming went away, too.

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    It said between .40 and .75 cents a month

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    That's what I figured instead of refunding the premium channel rate.

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I tell ya YA CANT WIN WITH PEOPLE!!!!!

They bitch about thier bills going up,etc......... THEY DID THIS TO TRY AND KEEP PEOPLE'S BILLS LOWER!! (They didnt think the added fees were worth it considering the garbage available now!)