1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time-Warner NYC Loses Regional Sports Nets

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Nick, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Time Warner NYC Loses Regional Sports Nets

The latest programming carriage skirmish has led to the loss of two regional sports nets - MSG and Fox Sports New York - on Time Warner Cable systems serving the New York City area.

The channels, which are controlled by Cablevision, went dark Sunday (8/1) at 12 a.m. Reports said the loss of the channels impacts more than 1.4 million New York area cable customers.

The two channels broadcast games for New York Mets baseball as well as New York Knicks basketball and New York Rangers hockey. The skirmish also includes a third channel, Metro Channel, which carries local news.

Prior to the shut-off, Time Warner Cable said it would provide customers a rebate of $2 a month should the channels go dark.

SkyReport (Used with permission)

2. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Cool, $2 off your cable bill in NY. I HATE the RSNs and ESPN because they cost so much and I never watch them. There should be a premium sports package for say $5 more a month. And cut the normal bill by the same of course.

3. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Why is "FOX" Sports Net controlled by Cablevision?

4. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Cable Vision owns a number of Fox Sports Nets, it's just a name. Have a look:

FSN Bay Area
    FSN Chicago
    FSN Florida
    FSN New England
    FSN Ohio
    FSN New York
    MSG

5. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Weren't the above the old Sportschannel ones?

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    This is why MSO's should not be allowed to own Channels.

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yep all of these Rainbow owned Fox Sports Nets used to be SportsChannel, sans MSG. Fox Sports Cincy also used to be SC.

Too bad it’s just TW NYC, not TW Syracuse and TW Rochester too, DirecTV would gain a whole load of new subscribers. I enjoy having four blackout free RSNs at my disposal. (thank you D* for carrying all four NY state RSNs and making them available in the basic programming packages, unlike the other satellite provider)

8. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Glad to see Time Warner stand up.. Glad to see Charlie is not the only one willing to tell these expensive cable channel opreators that customers want fair rates.

9. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Steve,

I don't know about Time Warner Syracuse, but Time Warner Rochester has removed MSG and Fox Sports New York. This is great news for the sports fan (NOT) as of now there is NO platform in our area to get all of the regional sports rights we COULD receive on any other platform other than DirecTV. TW now doesn't carry MSG or FOX Sports NY, and Dish Network doesn't carry YES.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.