1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Time Warner "Start Over" feature???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 996911, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1 of 22

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Didn't see a thread covering this and not sure if it's regional but here in Raleigh we keep getting a TWC commercial that touts this great feature D* doesn't have called "start over" and TWC does which make them "better".

I'm confused, since last time I checked, when I pull up the menu for a specific show I am watching or getting ready to watch, one of the options is "START OVER". Or if not recorded you can just hit the pause button or rewind to a specific point in the show of your choosing. So you can see my confusion what they are selling.

So what exactly is TWC trying to sell? My guess is for those people stuck back in the 20th century that no DVR and need to "rewind" to the beginning of a show?

2. Dec 7, 2009 #2 of 22
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #3 of 22
    ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7 Godfather

Apr 2, 2003
    It sounds good in practice; however, I don't think it's even deployed here yet...They have been running commercials for several weeks (maybe a couple of months), but the service it not up and running to the best of my knowledge.

Although, I laugh every time I see the commercial...with TWC I can just start the show over...well, with DirecTV, you can just record the freakin' show and watch it whenever... ;)

4. Dec 7, 2009 #4 of 22
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    It appears that this only works on selected programs. It seems like a version of VOD. The shows are digitally captured so you can go back. Since you can not fast forward, it appears to being captured in real time and probably not available after the show is over.

5. Dec 7, 2009 #5 of 22
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Sure, if you recorded it. There would be a bunch of times I would use this. I stumble upon movies once in awhiole that I am 15 minutes into and would love to be able to start at the beginning. Now I have to hope it's on again and record it.

Listen, it's by no means stretch a deal breaker, but it is a cool feature, no matter how lame TWC is. :)

6. Dec 7, 2009 #6 of 22
    ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7 Godfather

Apr 2, 2003
    I completely agree; however, when you see the commercial the next time, listen to what is said. He's been "sitting there waiting since the show started" while is wife is on the phone...voila...record it. ;) That's all I'm saying. Every time I see the commercial that's what I think.

7. Dec 7, 2009 #7 of 22
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    They have been running ads in Milwaukee and Racine, WI for the same. The impression that I got was that as long as you were watching, you could start over(without DVR).

If it were anything more than that, I think they would have made a much bigger deal of it.

8. Dec 7, 2009 #8 of 22
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't watch commercials. ;)

9. Dec 7, 2009 #9 of 22
    ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7 Godfather

Apr 2, 2003
    Touche'...I don't tend to see commercials either, unless it's during a live sporting event.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This is step 1 of a centralized DVR system. If people get hooked using this they can easily be sold on "more".

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I don't think they have a lot bandwidth to make the system work as good as a dvr next to the tv.

12. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    I don't think this is the concept of a centralized DVR - although there are cable companies playing with that concept too (I believe CableVision is). Start over is an interesting concept - it really is designed to allow you to start over from the top of any show currently playing live. It's not just the show you're currently watching. It's designed to work with any show that's currently broadcasting. It's a nice concept, actually. There are lots of times I come across a show that's 15 minutes in, and when I go to look for the next airing, there's nothing scheduled.

To make it work, you really don't need a whole lot of bandwidth - just enough to buffer all the shows currently airing.

13. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Oceanic Time Warner in Hawaii has has this feature for years.
    Not on all channels, but on many.
    Is very nice when you find something in the guide, but 15 has passed already. Go to the channel, and the "Start Over" button appears.
    It has probably been a year since I used it, but if I remember correctly, it behaves like a DVR (fast forward, rewind, etc).

14. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    It's been around here in Albany for years... must have been a test market? As far as I know, it's still only works with SD channels but that may have changed. I also believe you CANNOT fastforward, you have to watch the commercials :(

It does work on their regular boxes, it's not a DVR feature and it's obviously just VOD for that "episode" is all. So if the episode you're watching is on VOD, just watch that. Come to think of it, there's no reason DIRECTV can't just do that with a Red Button pop up that just queues the show from their VOD service and moves you to that show. I bet they do just that shortly if this feature turns out to be popular.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    This is a good feature for channel surfers maybe, but since 99% of non-sports programming that we watch is recorded, it adds nothing for me.

16. DJSix

DJSix AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I saw the commercial last month while on vacation in Maui. I was laughing when the actor was saying it's their favorite show and he's missing it. I was thinking to myself, "all my favorite shows are set on season pass, so I don't miss any show." Now granted, it would be nice for a movie that I didn't know was coming on, but more than likely, it'll be shown again, and if it isn't, there's always Netflix.

17. Crimson

Crimson Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    Brighthouse (TWC) in the Tampa area has this as well. As others stated it simply starts the program over. There is no DVR capabilities like FF, rewind, etc. It simply starts it from the beginning and plays it as though you were watching it live. I used it while staying at a friends house. Its only on major programs and networks. For example if you missed the start of the latest CSI.. if you happened to pull up the food network and wanted to restart a re-run of Iron Chef, it wouldn't work.

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    According to TWC, it is available on 20,000 titles. My guess is that Iron Chef is among them. ;)

19. tunce

tunce Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    It is up and running in Racine, WI. My father-in-law has it and I was playing with it. It was OK but once you hit start over you can not fast-forward you can only rewind and pause. VERY STRANGE, might be part of the control they want over commercials - don't know.

20. IHeartMASN

IHeartMASN New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    TWC here in Greensboro has had this for a couple of years. It's the only feature that Time Warner has that I wish DirecTV would get.