1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner Testing & Implementing PowerBoost

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Steve Mehs, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1 of 19
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Well with so much negative who-ha over their testing of metered usage in Beaumont, TX, which some people take as gospel of what will happen nationwide, as posted on DSLReports, in some areas of NY state (CNY, STNY and NYC) Time Warner is testing PowerBoost technology that Comcast has been working on deploying nationwide for the past year or so. It as offically launched in parts of NYC though. PowerBoost takes a chunk of unused bandwidth on a node and lets you download large files at speeds above what you're provisioned for. Upwards of 30Mbps down. This will also create false inflated results on speed tests. Comcast does PowerBoost on both Up and Downstream, TW is down only currently.

As you can see no PowerBoost here yet, but still great speeds.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 7, 2008 #2 of 19
    coolyman

coolyman Legend

Oct 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

I noticed this almost 2 weeks ago and wondered what was happening. I'm supposed to have 15M/768k. :D

Well, I haven't seen it jump like this recently so maybe it was just being tested. Oh well. I'm glad just to get what I'm paying for.

3. Jul 7, 2008 #3 of 19
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Nice, I didn't realize they were doing it outside of NY state. Just Rebooted my cable modem and router, no PowerBoost yet. I'm shocked. Usually my franchise is one of the first three, and more often than not the first, to get new services and features when it comes to both RR and digital cable. I would however rather have a regular 20Mb/2Mb connection, but hey this is better than nothing.

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Incredible speed! They just started doing it here. See attached.

Attached Files:

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK .. Now my DSL is in the dust :lol: .. but I will not be getting Cable in my house again ..

[​IMG]

Funny thing is that I'm happy with those speeds .. I haven't seen any big downside to not being faster .. And upside is that I can run servers at home without fear of operating outside of the AUP with the cable company.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I just have basic Windstream DSL -- Speedtest says it's 2540 K down and 301 K up. That's really adequate for me. I'm not streaming movies, etc. :D

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I could careless about movies, why would I want to watch movies on a 22" widescreen when I got a 42" and a 55" widescreen. Watching TV and movies on a computer is just stupid. It's the speed for downloading Windows Updates that I love. I often work on other peoples computers and first question I ask is cable or DSL. If the person responds DSL, I just take their tower home with me. I only have a 15Mb connection but it sure as hell beats what Verizon calls broadband when doing massive updates. The more bandwidth the better.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    mine....

Attached Files:

9. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I just upgraded to the Comcast blast service and here are my results....

[​IMG]

I have hit 30MB+ down a few times.

Attached Files:

10. HighVoltage

HighVoltage Legend

Nov 27, 2007
    This "boosting" is not for sustained transfers like streaming movies. It has been noted this "boosting" provides "false" speed reports from places like speedtest.net. The boosting effect is fine for small file transfers ( < 10Mb) but try downloading and timing a +100 megabyte file to get a better measure of the average transfer rate if you are considering streaming large files.

11. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Before I got Comcast Blast and only had Comcast with the power boost it would drop way off after the first few MB's. But I am now getting the same results on large files. I downloaded a file the other night that was 181MB and I averaged about 24MB down.

12. HighVoltage

HighVoltage Legend

Nov 27, 2007
    Comcast Blast is not the same as Powerboost...

13. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I know, that is why I said my download speed would start high and drop way off when I had just Comcast and the power boost, but now that I have Comcast Blast my download speed averages about 24MB down on large files.

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    San Diego just got PowerBoost

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    We got boosted about 3 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

16. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    My AT&T U-Verse is about what I pay for....
    [​IMG]

17. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    On a related note, TW has announced 100Mbps up and down service later this year for the Hualalai Resort on Hawaii (The Big Island). The news is here.

18. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Steve,

Some of us have computers hooked up to monitors a tad larger than 22". hulu.com's HD looks pretty decent on my 70" screen and very nice on the 47". Newer TVs are coming with browsers built in as well.

19. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    PowerBoost just added here in the past day or so

[​IMG]