1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timer Alert: Sarah Connor name change

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by kstuart, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1 of 32
    kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    I went to set a timer for the series premiere of Joss Whedon's new series Dollhouse on February 13th and noticed that there was no timer set for the resumption of Sarah Connor Chronicles immediately preceding Dollhouse.

Then I noticed that Tribune's listings (used by Dish Network) had changed tht title of the show to "Connor Chronicles" so it no longer matched "Sarah Connor Chronicles".

So, check your NBR timer for this show, you will probably need to make a new one.

PS This is appropriate to the Forum, as it affects all Dish DVRs, and people will only be helped by the message if it appears in a place where they will see it.

2. Feb 5, 2009 #2 of 32
    space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    Thank you just updated my timer.

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 32
    snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    Thanks as well. I will check on/change my timer tonight.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 32
    Gruber22

Gruber22 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    I noticed this morning that my 622 took care of this by itself, but I'm not sure how. My timer is not a DISH PASS but just a regular one setup off the EPG for NEW episodes. The timer still says SARA CONNOR CHRONICLES but it setup the 2/13 showing for CONNOR CHRONICLES.

5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 32
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Be careful! This error may end up getting fixed in the week between now and then, so be prepared to change things back if it does.

6. Feb 5, 2009 #6 of 32
    BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
    Just checked my daily schedule and my timer is still good even with the slight name change. I selected the "new episodes" option last year and apparently the partial name match is ok.

BJK

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 32
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I once had daily recordings of the same program broken up into two groups. The difference? Truibune typed an extra space between the words in the name of the program.

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 32
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Programs also have numbers that you don't see. DISH Pass would use the name but I would expect most DVR events set from the EPG would use the number. Once the program IS recorded the DVR uses the text name (as shown when one renames the programs).

9. Feb 5, 2009 #9 of 32
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Same here with my 722. I didn't expect the receiver to take care of that. Sweet.

10. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    In my case, I did not delete the old timer, just added a new one for the new name.

So, if they revert to the old name, it will still record.

11. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    My 622 handled Connor just fine. But their new time slot created a conflict since 2 other timers were already set for that time. The 622 has not alerted me to that conflict and there is no timer for one of the other programs. So apparently you have to monitor the 622 because it has a mind of its own and will decide what you should watch.

One of the existing timers is set to record a local PBS program every week. The other is set to record only New episodes of a cable channel program. The Connor timer is set to record only New episodes from local HD received via satellite.

12. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Are the new episodes of the cable channel show played again later in the evening (or even the next day)? If so, just move Connor to a higher priority then the cable show so the receiver will record Connor first and then the repeat of the new episode will be recorded later that night. This will allow all your shows to record without having to manually mess with timers.

EDIT: According to my SlingGuide. My timer is just fine.

13. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    That's a network program. They typically don't do repeats as the cable channels do.

14. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Right. Put Connor on a higher priority then the cable channel show since Connor is a network show that doesn't repeat. The cable channel show, depending on what it is, is more likely to get repeated later in the evening and the DVR will pick up on that and record it at the later time.

15. BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
    Unless he has specified New Episodes on the other timers as well.

BJK

16. BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
    Yep. That's what the priority list is all about.

BJK

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The more you use timers the more you need to monitor their function. I just consider it part of my daily routine to look at what is scheduled and what is skipped, and adjust priorities when needed.

SlingGuide makes that real easy because it has the CONFLICTS selection that lists programs that will not record because of a conflict. The normal skipped display has to be read to see if the program is skipped as a duplicate, old or a conflict.

18. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    :up::up: I was going to suggest that too. I look at my upcoming schedule to once a week to make sure nothing is missed and adjust fire appropriately.

19. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Okay, I forgot about Priorities. I don't think I set any priorities myself but Connor might default to a higher priority because it's a network channel (???). The cable program is rebroadcast at 9:00 but doesn't show any timer there either. I'll have to check but I think the cable channel only labels the original broadcast as New. I'll play with priority settings to see if I can get it to automatically move the timer to 9:00 airing.

With both Connor and the cable show being the type that air for 10 to 13 weeks and then disappear for a few weeks or months, I've been specifying New so I don't miss an episode when they return to the air after a hiatus. Worked great until this scheduling conflict came up.

20. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Actually, there is no need to do this. "NBR" actually does not compare the wording/spelling in the "N" - it relies on a coded identifier.

Take no action and you will not miss an episode of Connor. :)