1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy On Cinemax

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Rnrboy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Rnrboy

Rnrboy Mentor

Oct 7, 2010
    Now I find this very frustrating. I have had the premium channels for years now, and the custom for big movies (as I'm sure many of you are aware) is to premiere them on a Saturday or Sunday night, and then move them to the On Demand Channel for that package.

But my wife just called me to inform me that Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is showing on Cinemax right now (3:00 EST) and it is not on Cinemax On Demand. So I checked their website which has their weekend premieres for now through the beginning of November, and there is no sign of it showing up.

FRUSTRATING! Anyone else surprised by this?? I wish there were a way to converse directly with these channels, because I know my provider will just tell me "We don't set the schedule".

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Today's 2:30pm showing wasn't the premier. I have it recorded from 9/6 at 2:05am.

They may not have the rights to put it on VOD and the movie studio may not have negotiated for a weekend night premier.

It's not even a movie that Cinemax is promoting on their website right now.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I have Comcast -- my EPG is showing on Cinemax in HD tomorrow (Thursday 9/13/2012) at 2:30-4:30 pm Eastern.

Thanks, Rnrboy, for the reminder, I'm looking forward to watching it.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Thanks, just TIVO'd it for tomorrow

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    My guide is showing it as having multiple showings over the next few days. Kinda hard to miss.

6. steinmeg

steinmeg Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    Don't waste you time...It was awfull

7. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    awful

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I think steinmeg liked the film. He was full of awe.

9. Rnrboy

Rnrboy Mentor

Oct 7, 2010
    It would have been easy for me to miss. I don't normally scroll over all my Cinemax channels to find movies.

This is the first time I am aware of in the 6 years or so I've had all these channels where a movie this big didn't get an official premiere night and move to On Demand around the same time.

I guess I'll have to TIVO it too. But it's still disconcerting. I always watch movies @ home since I get every single premium and I've always been able to catch every movie I've wanted to see without going to the theater.

This plants a small seed of doubt in that approach...

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I didn't scroll to find it, I just used DirecTV's HR24 to do a search. After reading your first post, I was rather surprised that it showed up as often as it did.

11. Rnrboy

Rnrboy Mentor

Oct 7, 2010
    Right, but how would you have known to search for it in the first place if I hadn't posted this? ;)

That's my point, Cinemax aren't exactly pushing it like most premium channels push big movies.

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought about it at all if it wasn't for this thread.

I've read the book and enjoyed it and am recording it now to watch at my leisure.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I liked it. You had to stick with it ... it was a dead-slow starter, but slowly got better and better.

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    It was on limited release when is was in theaters earlier this year -- mainly in "art" theaters. Local critic was ambivalent about it -- citing the slow start and development of the Smiley character, but said as previously noted here that the picture picked up momentum as it went on.
    I never got around to seeing it, and am thinking about streaming the original Guiness version of the story..

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    You shouldn't regret it ... good story with a not-so-predictable ending.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks for the mention: I wouldn't have caught it otherwise. I am "taping" it soon.

17. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Is Cinemax even showing it in OAR? 2.35:1 for this specific movie.

Edit: I checked the showing on ActionMAX HD and it's not OAR...

18. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I happen to like cerebral, us vs them coldwar espionage flicks. Oldman, Firth, Hurt and others were at their understated, stiff-upper-lip best. *****

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Dang! The thing about those types of movies is you have to both pay attention, and think! I saw TTSS some time ago, and lapsed in both areas.
    Therefor I am going to watch it again, and view it as a challenge.

20. redhot

redhot Mentor

Oct 23, 2009
    When I'm watching tv, I'm usually on the internet and listening to the radio. No wonder I don't know what's going on....:lol: