1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo, BBC hijack video recorders

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by invaliduser88, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
  2. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I dunno, as long as it lets you record something else instead during the time period and it let's you watch something instead of record that show, it seems like a good form of advertising. If those two requirements aren't met it's downright wrong.

3. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Jeez, what some people won't complain about...

If the unit had a recording scheduled by the user at that time, the unit ignored the show suggested by the BBC.

If the owner was watching something on live TV at the time, it gave them an on-screen option to NOT record it.

If the owner gave permission or did not answer the prompt for some reason (like not watching TV at the time), it stored the show on the section of the hard drive reserved for TiVo's use (as mentioned in the agreement in the box the TiVo came in).

Yes, it stays on the menu for a week and can't be deleted. So what ? The drive space used isn't accessable to the user anyway, so no usable drive space is lost.

And NO ONE is being forced to watch the show. It's just a temporary menu option and can be ignored completely.

I just don't understand what the tinfoil-hat crowd finds so upsetting about this :shrug:

4. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No offense to Tivo owners, but first Tivo tracks your usage (by zip code only) unless the owner physically diables it, and now records programming that the user may or may not want. Regardless of whether it takes up space that can't be used for other purposes or not, if the owner doesn't set the machine to record, it shouldn't record it.

5. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    I just don't get what the problem is? How is it any different from other advertising? Though I do feel TiVo should drop the subscription fee if they are going to take ads.

6. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    well, it's abvuse of the system, for one thing-also, i don't think i have seen any mention anywhere that tivo is going to force recording programming on you that you can't get rid of for a period of time as part of the deal...the problem with this is if BBC can get away with it, others will want to also, the logical conclusion being that one day you DO come home and find all your avalable space used up and nothing you can do about it...
    personally, the greed behind this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

7. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    That can't happen jrjcd, as it's only recording to space reserved for TiVo advertising. It will not take any of the user's drive space.

8. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Consider also that this was doen in the UK, not here in the USA.
    People in the UK pay for TV by subscription fees. There is a different treatment of TV "rights" in that country. There is actually a fine for watching TV without having paid a license fee on the TV.

9. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    RichW, the legality of that fine is widely debated. The license is for watching OTA (and satellite/cable British) sources, and pays for the BBC. TiVo is one company, I just believe BBC was first willing to pay for this. If ABC had been first, it would have happened here.

10. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    mark, you would be surprised at all the things that can't be done that jump out of the woods and do happen...

11. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    But it hasn't happened YET, and this is a perfectly acceptable form of advertising. TiVo is a major company and isn't going to do anything to destroy their customers' trust.

12. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    This is effectively the same as the Starz video-on-demand feature that will place movies on DirecTivo units. But one is presented as a feature and the other is presented as troubling. Either way, something someone else thinks is important gets recorded and stored on a non-user area of the hard drive.

How you feel about it is your own business. Just because you're paranoid...

13. garydw

garydw Legend

Apr 22, 2002
    For me I have no intrest in Tivio if they are going to force items to be recorded.

And I will not have it in my house as long as they are recording and selling my personal information.

14. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    But it isn't FORCED to record, it's only recording if you aren't using the unit anyways, and it's recording to a TiVo reserved hard drive area anyways. And any statistics gathered are in an anonymous way that does not violate your right to privacy.

15. Guest

TiVo is very good at what it does.

It's business plan calls for selling viewing data it collects and for selling targeted program placements to interested advertisers.

It's possible to opt out of the viewing data collection but you have to call TiVo's CS and wait on hold to do so. TiVo doesn't encourage you to opt out.

TiVo, Inc. is hoping most of its subscribers won't care about or even be aware of all it's revenue producing plans. It's still ascertaining the limits of what's acceptable for its service. Some of its revenue producing ideas push the envelope to the creepy line, IMHO.

16. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The problem I have with these data collection services is that it sometimes is not clear that you can "opt out". I believe the default should be to opt out and then convince people to opt in.

17. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    As long as it is anonymous, I want my viewing habits being recorded. Before there was only the Neilsen ratings. Now I am doing my part to prop up shows that I like. And if my season pass for a show like "Jeremiah" on Showtime helps it survive then more power to the viewing habits recording.

Maybe no longer will I have to say "I loved that show but not being a Neilsen family makes my opinion worthless."

18. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    Plus, it's a lot easier than filling out the stupid Neilsen diary is!

19. Guest

I agree but it'll never work that way. TiVo's data collection isn't a Nielson sample; it requires volume to be worth anything.

There will never be a significant number of TiVo users who opt out much as there wouldn't be a significant number who would opt in.

Of course there are other DVR options than TiVo which is the only DVR now collecting viewing data. ReplayTV used to but hasn't been since their 4XXX's came out. UTV, Dishplayer and Dish's 501 don't.

20. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Great, so I'm recording a show on vcr so I can have an archive copy and half way through the show, a box pops up from Tivo advertising about a BBC show and if I'm not there to check NO, I'm OOL.

What sucks is you're paying $10 to $13 per month so they can force feed programs down your throat. It would be different if they gave you a break on the monthly fee in return for these intrusions.

It's like commercials on pay movie channels; it's just wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.