1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tivo DVR spontaneously resets

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by frontiercc, Nov 20, 2012.

1. frontiercc

frontiercc Cool Member

Nov 24, 2003
    I have a puzzling issue with TWO of my olde TIVO DVRs. (A DVR 40 and an HR 10). They both started spontaneously resetting 2-3 times daily. It's weird, I'll be watching live TV or TIVO and they power down and go to the Gray System restart screen.

Nothing else in the house (like PCs) seem to power cycle, so I suspect it's not my power flickering, but might be. Are these machines super sensitive to voltage drop or something?

It's odd that they both started doing it at about the same time. That leads me to think it's probably not a hardware problem.

I did hard resets on both- still do it. Has there been a software update recently? Any other ideas as to what my issue might be?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. billsnj

billsnj New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    This is a know problem - it has been hapening for approx two weeks.
    The reboots have now begun to occurs approx every 1/2 hour.
    Best anyone cantellis - this problem is only affecting Series 2 TIVO's !!

4. frontiercc

frontiercc Cool Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Thanks-

Found the other thread after I started this one. Wouldn't you know I have two of those suckers acting up. I have a used one on the shelf for standby, but from the sounds of things, that won't help either.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Problem was fixed this afternoon.