1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVO DVR VS HR-20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by roconnell, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    I bought my Panasonic Plasma 42" HD back in December. For the 1st three months I stuck with my old SD TIVO DVR. I was a bit upset with the TV in that it had depth of black problems when the scene was dark; the blacks seemed to "pool" and fluctuate. Since I put in my HR20 last month the problem as disappeared. Does the HR20 delever a higher quality signal to the TV, or is it maybe because I’m using an HDMI connection now.

2. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    It's the HDMI connection. Did you use the s-video or composite jacks when connecting your old SD TiVo?

3. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    My old TiVo didn't have an HDMI jack, so I used s-video connection.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    That's it. Analog SD video will look crappy on an HDTV. Nothing you can do about it except calibrate it until it looks the best it can.

5. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    One more question on this subject. My TV tells me the signal type it is recieving. On all the channels HD or SD in tells me the signal is 1080i. The old TiVo told me the signal type was 480i. Is that the HDMI cable that makes the differance? Just curious.

6. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Unless you have the HR20 set on Native, the TV will be receiving whatever format you have the HR20 set to output. The HR20 changes 480i or 480p or 720p to 1080i if that is what the resolution on the front of the HR20 is set to.

7. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    Okay..now I'm confused. I think what I just read is that I should not set the front of my HR20 to 1080i. I have a 720p. So the HR20 is sending a 1080i to my TV which is then to convert it to 720p? Sounds like I should just set it at 720p and save the TV having to convert.

My native is turned off. In the guided set up I turned on all the resolution settings for format control. But I'm still not really sure the best way to set it up. What makes it even more complicated is where i should set my TV's controls. It has the same formats the HR20 with an added one called "justified". The justified aspect was actually my favorite because it streched the side of the picture more then the center.

Long story short with all the mulitaple settings on the HR20 and the ones on my TV my guess is there are about 200 combinations of settings and I'm going to have to figure out what works best.

8. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    You hit it on the head right there. Whatever looks best to you is what you should use. :joy:

9. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    So if Native is "on" that over rides the settings on the front of the unit?

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Native on means it will auto switch the format based on what formats you told the HR20 your TV supports. But the cost is that channel changes are a lot slower, if that's an issue for you.

Native Off means that you manually can control the format from your remote (format button), again based on what formats you told the HR20 your TV supports.

So if you have a 720p TV then I'd set the HR20 to only 480i and 720p resolutions, turn all the others off. This will have the least amount of conversions.
    Now, set the HR20 to 720p mode and just leave it there, I suggest 720p piller box mode. This will piller box 480i SD content. If you'd rather have your TV upconvert and stretch your SD content then simply hit the format button to switch to 480i and then your TV should do it's magic. Switch back to 720p when back on HD channels.

My TV is 1080i. So I have the HR20 set to Native Off and formats of 480i and 1080i. I leave the HR20 set in 1080i piller box mode. Only time I switch to 480i is if the SD program I'm watching is in letterbox. Then to me it looks better if my TV does it's thing. Otherwise SD programs will be piller boxed and I don't mind that.

At the end of the day you'll just have to play with the various settings until you get what looks best to you. Start with the above suggestions as it's the simplest and makes the most sense but tweak as you need to. There is no best way and no right answer on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.