1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Loses Investors Amid Cable-TV Competition: Taking Stock

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    April 16 (Bloomberg) -- B. Randall Watts uses TiVo Inc.'s digital video recorder to tape New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox games. The Boston Co. Asset Management money manager is no fan of the company's stock.

Watts has instead bought shares of Scientific-Atlanta Inc., a maker of set-top boxes. The company's products, supplied to cable companies such as Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Inc., include recording devices.

Money managers such as Watts have shunned or sold TiVo --the second-best performer in the Bloomberg Hollywood Reporter Index this year -- because the company's stand-alone recording service may become superfluous. Customers can purchase the same product directly from cable and satellite companies as part of their television service.

``It's tough defending TiVo against the competition,'' said Watts, who manages $500 million in small-company stocks for the firm in Boston. ``All set-top boxes in the future'' will have digital-video recorders inside them, he said.

Technology upgrades have overtaken companies' business in the past. Netscape Communications Corp., for instance, charged for its Web-browsing software before Microsoft Corp. added its Internet Explorer program to the Windows operating system. The company, now part of Time Warner's America Online unit, gives away the software.

Full Story

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    While I have friends who love their TiVo standalone, I prefer the intergrated receiver that both Dish and DirecTV offers. Remember, I jumped from Dish Network to DirecTV based upon a $5 fee for what is essentially a VCR with a Hard Drive, and that same fee gives me mostly better software with DirecTV (plus two tuners instead of one).

For a standalone, the $12.95 monthly sticker shock is a bit of a turn off especially when the local cable company will give you the box for free with a slightly lower monthly fee (but reduced functionality). TiVo was hoping to follow the footsteps of VCRPlus. If you don't remember, VCRPlus started out as a programable remote that would record the programming. The people who made the technology wanted to license the technology into VCRs (which did happen), and eventually, the VCRPlus remotes disappeared.

3. gglockner

gglockner AllStar

Mar 25, 2004
    The analogy for TiVo is the personal computer market circa 1992. TiVo is the Mac, and the me-too DVRs are PCs with Windows. At the time, the Mac had fiercely loyal users and clear feature advantages. But the PC with Windows 3.1 was good enough and a lot cheaper. Today, Windows XP has closed the gap so that there is no clear technical advantage to the Mac. The Mac did not disappear, but it remained a niche product.

The only place where the analogy breaks down is that TiVo has patents on name-based recording. This is a real technical advantage to TiVo over generic PVRs. It's anyone's guess whether this is enough to push TiVo to the top of the PVR market.

4. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    All I know is I love my TiVo and would not ever use anything else.

5. amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    It is sad, Tivo is genuine, and all the copiers are winning. :(

6. BurgEnder

BurgEnder AllStar

Aug 14, 2003
  7. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Burg, Replay had alot of first, but the first replay was not seen to late 1999 for the christmas shopping season.

The real first PVR was out in early 1999 before the term PVR or DVR was ever used. Back in the Day Microsoft called it Personal TV. Yes the 7100 was first. While it may not of been earth shattering with a 8 gig hard drive it was the first. And still to this day is the best damn dish network PVR out there. Only the 7x00 (71/7200) have name based recording on there units but again it uses microsoft software licences not Echostars.

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    This came up before. As I recall Replay and Tivo were pretty much tied with DISH behind. Remember the original 7100 was not PTV enableda t the time.

9. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Dishplayer was released in January 1999.... PTV Service was orginally offered in may... June 1999 they offered Lifetime service as they called it even though to microsoft liftetime means 3 years.

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Agreed but according to other thrads Replay and Tivo both came out----with PVR service---during thhat intermim period. I tried to search for it but could not find it.

11. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
  12. chessmaster1010

chessmaster1010 Mentor

May 29, 2002
    PTV service for the Dishplayer 7100 was not offered until December 1999. I know this because I was eagerly watching reports for how well it worked; trying to decide if I wanted one for Christmas. I waited a month and got mine in January 2000.

However the 7100 was sold for months before this without the PTV service option. It's possible a 7100 would pause live TV back in June 1999 before PTV was offered on it. Whether pausing without the ability to record counts for anything I leave to others to argue about.

13. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    That explains why the free PTV for three years ran out in 2003 not 2002. I am more convinced than ever that the Displayer was not the first PVR/DVR just the first integrated one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.