1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo On An R-15 Box?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sgirardot1, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgirardot1

sgirardot1 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Hello,
    with recent comments from The TiVo CEO suggesting Liberty Media ( The company purchasing DirecTV from News corp.) are fans of the TiVo DVR, is there any reason why the TiVo software could not replace the existing software on the R-15? I am curious if this could be achieved via a software download or if need be even a USB thumb drive type of upgrade? Anyone with intricate knowledge of the R-15 hardware know if this would be viable?

Thanks
    Scott

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I don't think they ever will, I hope they don't. I have a couple of DirecTivo's sitting on a shelf. The new D* DVR's may not be quite as refined as a Tivo(they haven't had to time to grow up yet)but the capability is so much greater. There were lots of things I missed about Windows 3.1, but I moved on.

3. sgirardot1

sgirardot1 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    I agree with the your premise. I too like the minimalistic nature of the current R-15 software, although I wish it was a little more responsive in some respects. I recently re-activated an older Series 2 single tuner TiVo DVR an while the ability to find shows based on a plethora of options is terrific, the software does feel a little outdated in terms of not having a true picture in guide specifically when entering TiVo central to look at Whishlist's and the to do list where that is sorely lacking. However, if they made a few refreshments and were able to speed things up a bit on the current R-15 hardware I think the TiVo software could be a big draw for a lot of people.

Scott

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The best of both worlds would be great. May be some patent issues, not sure. Possibly something will be worked out with these corporate ownership changes upcomming.

5. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Bring back Tivo!!!! It was a lot more fun. The R15 is like a vcr.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I still have a great working Sammy Directivo and use it occasionally and I like it, have had acouple before it. I have had the R15 for 18 months and the HR20 for 8 months, there are many things the newer machines do better than the Tivo. They are faster and quicker to set up series links. The Tivos work far better with channels I recieve. Bottom line, two different manufacturers, two different machines and if you want the newest features you need the newest technology. Tivo was great in its day.

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    If stable and reliable, I like the R15 much better than Tivo. Certainly there are some features I'd like to see added to the R15 (some which Tivo has, and some which Tivo doesn't have). But overall, I like the R15 much better (if it were stable and reliable).

8. bearymore

bearymore Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    As far as I know, there was no single tuner Directivo. They were all dual tuner. I'd imagine that if the DTV had requested software with PIG (which I find annoying), Tivo would have produced it.

Bugginess aside, I find the DVR functionality of the R-15 unacceptable - limits on the number of SL's (I have well over 100 on my DTivo, including shows that are not now on the air, but will return), the inability to create SL's for the same show on different channels, and the lack of a real wishlist function that can distinguish between channels you receive and channels you don't. These are just a few examples of the lack of functionality. I've tried the R-15 and I actually like its look and feel when compared to Tivo. However, the lack of DVR functionality is a deal breaker for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.