1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tivo re-allocating resources

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Joe Tylman, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend DBSTalk Club

Dec 13, 2012
  2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    They release something good for the first time in years and then they think they have reached the pinnacle? Just when I thought they where over screwing things up they backup a dump truck load of stupidity to pour ontop of themselves.

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    That's quite a bet TiVo's making, on a "cloud" DVR. Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

I'm assuming it will be an HDMI stick or a TiVo app on my networked TV that looks and feels just like a Roamio. That may be easier to pull off than working out the technical and business arrangements with the MSOs.

4. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Based on what I've read about the Roamio, I don't think it needs any more features. Just UTH to keep it bug-free. I'm not sure what sized maintenance team is required to do that. :shrug:

If you look at past TiVo's, they changed very little after they come out. I remember my Series 1, HDVR2 and HR10-250s had basically the same UI and features all the time I used them.

5. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    TiVo did respond to the article, and Wired updated their article: http://techland.time.com/2014/01/22/tivo-exiting-the-hardware-business-not-so-fast-says-tivo/

Wired: "Update: Tivo says it will continue to use third-party designers for hardware going forward. The article has been updated to reflect this fact."

TiVo: “We’re investing a ton into Roamio [the current TiVo line] and are working on new features and services for it…it’s just not right to say we’re exiting the hardware business.”

My Roamio Thoughts: http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/5920-My-TiVo-Roamio-amp-Mini-Thoughts-amp-Observations

6. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    The new Pandora App is awful. I'm not sure why they changed it. Now, when one wants to skip a track, there's a two key press with different keys, rather than the skip button on the remote. Also, when you want to change stations, it's a lot more cumbersome. More key presses. Pain when you are on the treadmill working out.