1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TLC reviving "American Chopper"

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mavrick, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1 of 25
    Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Supposedly this is going to be a Jr. vs Sr. series since Jr's non-compete clause with OCC has expired and he is opening his own chopper shop.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100407/tv_nm/us_tlc

2. Apr 8, 2010 #2 of 25
    Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #3 of 25
    Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    I enjoyed the show, although it got to the point where there was pretty much no bike building and I didn't care much any more at the end. They can't say in the article they want to reconcile then have a show that is going to be all about them not reconciling and "battling" it out. I am betting they couldn't handle the decrease in pay without the show and the exposure it gave them so they have to do whatever it is they are trying to do now. I'll definitely start watching this new one but if it seems way too fake I am out.

4. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I was thinking the exact same thing Galaxie...its about the $$$$$$ they saw how much money they were losing...no more huge #'s for website visitors, no merchandise sales etc. Once the show became an hr long commercial for the bike they were building it lost it's fun I think. I doubt they could ever revive it again to be what it was...I think the Tutles and TLC are just looking to make some more $$$$!

5. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    In the early years, the show was interesting to watch. Both my wife and I ride big bikes and it was fun to watch the OCC creative process. Unfortunately, in the later years, the creative/fun guys (Vinney, Nubbie, etc.) got kicked to the curb and the show devolved into a yelling match with very little time left over to bike building. And to top it off, the quality of work coming out of their shop is pretty poor. Sure there was always some custom fabrication (mostly done by Rick) during the last year of the show, but a lot of the components (tanks, fenders, etc.) were prebuilt.

I just told my wife about the new show and she laughed. At least Junior won't be building barbecues any more! LOL!!

John

6. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    As someone who cares nothing about bikes I like the show where it's part bike building and part family drama. I like the design and building process they show but if it was all bike I'd get bored. It's a good balance for me.

7. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I thought it was gonna be about bikes. It was crappy reality TV. I quit watching it early on.

What's this about jr/sr and a non-compete contract? Sounds like more reality TV made up stuff. They are family. You don't have non-compete contracts with family!

8. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    From watching the show, it appears that over time, as OCC got bigger and more business types were brought in to run things, that all the contracts started being put into place. I honestly think that the issues between Paul Sr and Jr are as much caused by the outsiders running the business as the two of them. At the very least, it brought things out in them that they were able to suppress normally.

According to Paul Jr's Twitter, they are supposed to start filming today at his new shop.

9. pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    This is great news . Now Jr. can show everyone that he was the talent not Sr. and his bad ideers ! I mean Sr. took all the glory and money and did nothing but bitch !

10. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Very true:nono2:

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    If it was not for Sr. the show would have sucked from day one. It was his explosive attitude etc that made the show great, Jr. is the better bike designer by a mile but he's kind of dull.

I gave up on the show from about 2 years ago when they stopped building Bikes and a Kinder gentler Sr appeared. I have no interest in any show involving OCC or Jr/Sr. The whole thing is now old and stale.

12. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Recently, Paul Jr has been posting pictures to his twitter feed of setting up his shop. Vinnie is in several of them. Jr has not mentioned him, but I have to wonder if Vinnie and Cody are joining him. That would make things much more interesting.

13. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    ideers :lol:

So glad to hear this news!

14. Hutchinshouse

Sep 27, 2006
  15. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks for the reminder, can't go that many days out on my 622 yet but the almost 10 minutes of clips was interesting. A lot of BS but also could be some interesting stuff going on, just depends on which course they take the show. I already saw some of the fake crap when SR just happens to ride by Jr's place and they pretend like they have no idea why he is there but there is a camera shot from every angle imaginable.

16. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I dont get it, whats the point, it's not like anybody ever thought Snr could make a better bike, he's just a better actor.

17. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    We've watched the first two episodes... and so far... basically more of the same.

Jr & Sr not able to interact in any way except having a shouting match. Mikey stuck in the middle. Everyone at OCC kissing senior's rear end telling him how great he is... Oh, and if you're lucky you might get to see a few minutes of putting together a bike.

It seems like maybe, just maybe, we might get to see some bike building at Junior's shop.

The one thing I wonder though after watching the first two episodes. How real is the "feud" between Junior and Senior, and how much of it is fabricated or embellished for TV.

It really got me to thinking when Jim Quinn came in and told Senior "My guy at flow called and told me that Junior is angling for a free machine". No equipment vendor that I've ever worked with would call my competitor and tell them I was looking to put in a machine. (Granted, it's not as if I am buying new equipment every day, but I've purchased more than a few machines in the last 15 years).

When I watched that scene, the far more likely scenario in my mind was that someone involved in the show told the guys at OCC what was going on at Junior's shop and they came up with this scene to make it look like Junior is trying to ride daddy's coattails and use all his contacts. Especially since at one point they show Junior on the phone talking to the guys at Flow and he says "Get me the numbers on the buyout and stuff and lets see how it goes - I'd really like to get a flowjet in here" (or something right along those lines). That doesn't sound like angling for a free machine when you're asking about buyouts, etc....

We'll probably give it another episode or two, and if they don't get to some bike building we'll turn this one off just the same way we turned off the "first" American Chopper.

18. Hutchinshouse

Sep 27, 2006
    I loves this show. After two episodes, here’s the deal. Less Jim Quinn, less Jason Pohl, less Steve Moreau. These people are irrelevant. These guys are all D-bags.

More Paul Jr, more Mickey, more Vinnie, more Rick, more bike builds and more Rachael :new_Eyecr:heart:.

19. Hutchinshouse

Sep 27, 2006
  20. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Nice, I like the yellow and black one a lot but I am sure SR will just compare it to the black widow bike. I've found it a bit funny how they are playing out JR getting a bike build. There had to be plenty of companies who wanted to be the first bike done because they are going to get a TON of play on the show.