1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

TNT / Nascar- Kyle Petty drops the F Bomb

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jamieh1, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    In the opening lap of the TNT NASCAR race from Sonoma California, K Petty got hit by Matt Kennseth , Petty repsonded on the incar audio, on the TNT broadcast, "WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT!"
    This did not get stopped by TNT, Bill Weber apologized for the language.

What happened to the delay?

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I wonder when the FCC will announce their multi million dollar fine against TNT/Turner for that word being heard on air?

3. twistedT

twistedT Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Kyle better put a quater in the pot!!!! Oh by the way MUCH better PQ on TNTHD this week.

4. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    ummm...never?

What's the FCC got to do with it in the first place???

5. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    Aren't they the ones that fined CBS for the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction?

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The Federal Censorship Corporation has absolutely no jurisdiction when it comes to 'obscenity' on cable networks. TNT is not using the ‘public airwaves’ so there is nothing that organization can do about it. Cable networks are not controlled by the FCC, so no reason for a delay.

7. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

8. heavyobjects

heavyobjects Legend

Mar 23, 2007
    :contract: "Yet"

9. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    And hopefully never.

10. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    amen to that

11. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Also the FCC just lost an appeals court decision over fines for situations exactly like this one - where the event is live and unscripted. They're called "fleeting expletives" From a news story about it:

"But only devoted celeb-watchers may remember that, in 2002 and 2003, Cher and Nicole Richie each uttered an expletive during music-awards programs. The FCC noticed, though, and held that Fox Broadcasting had thereby violated its indecency rules.

Earlier this month, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected, 2-1, the agency’s decision regarding the Cher and Richie profanities. But the court didn’t stop there: It called the agency’s rules “arbitrary and capricious” and raised the question of whether the entire enforcement effort was simply outdated in an era of new screening technology and cable and satellite programming."

news.google.com for numerous stories about the case

12. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Whats really funny about it, the audio with the F bomb was a replay of a spin out, it was not live. TNT still didnt catch it.

13. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Poor Kyle I have always felt sorry for him anyway. His Father was the King of racing and Kyle has never been able to do much in a race at all :(

14. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Always tough to follow a legend. He lost his son in a crash in 2000 as well, very tragic.

Overall a good human being that has done some great things for a lot of people via charity and what not.

He has 8 Cup wins and 173 top ten's. But his last win was over a decade ago.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    There probably isn't anyone screening the audio in the first place. For the few times something gets through, they'll just apologize and move on.

During the NFL playoffs last season, FOX showed a slow-motion replay of the crowd's reaction to a play, clearly showing a girl wearing a shirt that said "F*** DA EAGLES." These live broadcasts are so fast paced that there just isn't time to screen the replays for stuff like this. I don't think that NFL games are even run through a delay, aside from the Super Bowl since the Janet Jackson incident.

Interestingly enough, the "F*** DA EAGLES" incident was so big that Maxim actually brought the girl in for a photoshoot. But as far as I know, there were no fines handed out by the FCC.

16. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    well NASCAR might ... they named dale jr a while back (25K i think) for saying the word "****"

17. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Funny stuff. I was watching the race last night (over the objections of my wife);

First we hear Kyle during the warmup lap finish his prayer to the crew (during a mixup while Wally Dallenbach was trying to talk to him),

Cut to the wreck...enter Kyle & the F bomb.

My wife goes...."how'd they (TNT) miss that?":lol:

18. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Someone should be fined. He's supposed to be a role model. Sadly, a lot of what's on TV and radio is anything goes. Guys who are "shock jocks" because they don't have the intelligance to say anything funny. I don't like hearing a lot of the garbage on the air and I certainly don't want my kids to hear it.

It's not a case of the language not being "acceptable", but people's standards have really slid.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I said the exact same thing in my living room as that idiot drove right into the side of Kyle. He was in California, maybe he thought it was an earthquake? No he shouldnt have said it, yes someone will probably get fined, but please dont start on some holier that thou garbage....

20. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    It's not "holier than thou" garbage. Do you want your kids being exposed to a lot of the crud that's on the air now? I've seen guys who were into all of the off-color stuff, the language, the sex, etc. It's ruined them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.