1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To C31 or not to C31

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rmmccann, Oct 30, 2012.

1. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Hi guys,

I upgraded my equipment a few months back going from a pair of HR24s and a pair of H24s to an HR34 and 3 H25 receivers. I love the new HR34 and being able to have all my content on one DVR is fantastic. I do miss the ability to pause live TV in the bedroom and was debating about swapping out one of my H25s for a C31, however I don't want to do it if they are extremely buggy - I can live without pausing, however I can't deal with something that only works a portion of the time.

What has been your experience with the C31 and would you recommend it for someone in my situation? Thanks!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't find them buggy at all. I'd go for it.

3. GTS

GTS Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Stay with the H25s. Just start the recording the way you used to with the HR24/H24 combo. Start recording, select play list and begin playback. You can now perform all trick play functions. This will use one of the HR34 tuners, but it's no different than using a C31 client. Using the client will eliminate the "old" way of performing MRV functions as it will allow you to simply perform the trick play functions without having to "play back" a recording first. I, however, prefer using H25s, as the clients will reduce the number of tuners available for recordings at all times while the H25s will only reduce the number of tuners available for recording when "YOU" decide to do so.

Hope this makes sense.

4. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Yeah, I've thought about that, however I don't plan on having any more than one C31, so I can live with the loss of 1 tuner (we don't record enough in conflicting schedules to need all 5 at one time).

Although your suggestion would work just fine - I'm kind of anal about what's in the recording list. It would most likely drive me nuts if I did that with everything I watched, lol. The other HR24 I had was in the bedroom, so I always had native DVR functionality in there. The H24s were in the office and kitchen where I've never really wanted/needed it.

Thanks for the input!

5. jimd909

jimd909 AllStar

Sep 30, 2007
    I have the C31 and it's fine. When I had two HR24's and one H25, the H25 was sooooo slow when trying to FF, REW, etc. The C31 does have some lag, but it's not as bad as the H25. Hopefully DTV will fix the lag.

6. larry55

larry55 Legend

Jun 3, 2010
    i wait for the bugs to be work out first.

7. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Go for it, the C31 works very well. I use one everyday on one of my most used televisions.

8. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Thanks for all the feedback! I think I might jump on the bandwagon and see how this puppy works.

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Daughter and Son in Law just had a Genie with 5 C31 clients installed. They work fine as clients. Two of the six TVs do not have the proper remote codes to be able to use the On Off function buttons. They have to be started from the TV position on the remote. A real PITA for the whole family including my lovely wife. We are visiting and she will never figure out the switch and button combos.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Why turn in a HR24 for a H25? You don't save money.

11. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Because I closed my girlfriend's account (that DirecTV refused to put into my name) and signed up under my own, getting the new customer promotions.