1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To use SWM-8 (or not)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tweaked, Aug 13, 2008.

1. tweaked

tweaked AllStar

Jul 1, 2008
    Setup:

-Slim Line5 AU9
    -OTA Antenna
    -(2) HR-21-200 receivers
    -AM21

I'm currently running 3 cables to one room (one of the three for OTA signals) and 2 cables to another room. I was considering an SWM-8 to migrate over to what's supposed to be a true, one wire solution and reduce the number of individual cables.

After reading several threads with respect to (current) SWM technology and its ability to combine OTA signals with same, seems a one wire solution's not so simple or reliable. It's appearing as if that regardless of how (or where) the OTA line's diplexed onto an SWM feed, there's either an RF loss or some sort of signal conflict somewhere in the setup, affecting either OTA quality, DBS function, or both.

Although I would like to reduce my cabling, I am in no way interested in compromising current signal strength or overall system integrity.

Question: Has anyone in a comparable situation had good results (not just acceptable), particularly with regard to OTA signal strength (no measured loss); if so, what’s your setup?

-Thanks in advance

2. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Any time you split an OTA feed, you get loss. Whether you are diplexing, or not.

How many times are you splitting now, and how are you strengths?

If you will be splitting the same total number, and have >60% now, I think the SWM-8 diplex will work fine, as it has for me.

Just remember that the OTA is split once already, feeding two SWM outputs on the SWM-8 itself. So, I'd feed each HR21 with its own output.

I've never had an issue.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    my ota works fine as it did before. but, why would you spend the money for a swm system if you already have all the cables there. i would leave it the way you have it

4. tweaked

tweaked AllStar

Jul 1, 2008

Aesthetics as well as cable quality. If I'm able to replace all of my current (okay quality) CCS coax runs with just two lengths of a top quality, solid copper core variety while at the same time, improving the look of things (in terms of the number of cables running around my house), it's worth it to me.

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    i may be wrong..... but, when using a powered switch, it is not needed to use scc rg6, ccs is just fine

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    scc is only needed on passive switches to power the lnb

7. tweaked

tweaked AllStar

Jul 1, 2008
    Currently, my OTA's not split (feeding one TV).

Re:Current signal strength. Per my Sony LCD's OTA signal readings and an HR21's... high 90's or 100% repspectively.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    But you still want it from the powered switch to the dish.

9. tweaked

tweaked AllStar

Jul 1, 2008
    Thanks Dave. I'm not converting over to SCC for power considerations alone (I think you're right BTW). As I'll require just two lengths of coax, each being <80ft., I might as well go with the finest quality (shouldn't hurt my bank accout :)).

10. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Then you should be fine.

YMMV

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    always correcting me arent you:lol: :lol:

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "You know" & "I know", but what about those that don't? ;)

13. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    I've had no problems diplexing in OTA to my SWM. I get the big three OTA (and at some pretty good distances - ABC at 5 miles, FOX at 52 miles, and CBS at 59 miles).

I originally had a SWM-5, with OTA diplexed in after the SWM. I have since upgraded to a SWM-8, and use the internal diplexer. No problems at all with either configuration.