1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Tomorrow People" - science fiction worth viewing?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1 of 25
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The CW isn't my usual viewing choice. Yes, I do record "Hart of Dixie" which my wife and I watch in the Summer because it's silly, light, and airs some great music we don't hear elsewhere. But for the most part their shows lack depth.

I am curious about "Tomorrow People" because Executive Producer Phil Klemmer said in in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter:

My first reaction when I read descriptions of it is to let it slide. Most descriptions read like this one:

Teen angst over having special powers is a "thing" on The CW, but I still remember "Roswell" on the now defunct UPN which IMHO was scifi very well done. One can always hope.

2. Oct 9, 2013 #2 of 25
    LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I am hoping that it will be worth watching.....

3. Oct 9, 2013 #3 of 25
    longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Thanks for the post, I will check it out. It looks like it could be good. My only thought is the basic concept might be being used too much, first we had Heroes, then Alphas, now Tomorrow People. While it is somewhat of a stretch with the story line you could even include Haven in shows about people with supernatural powers

4. Oct 9, 2013 #4 of 25
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I watched the fall preview show for CW, and it really makes me look forward to TP. It looks really good from the clips there. The SFX when they teleport are as good as any I've seen, but then CW has a rich history of that sort of quality with Smallville. I guess we will know pretty soon.

5. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    The original Tomorrow People predated all of these by a big margin. I watched it and was pleasantly surprised. It followed the original to a point (as much as I remember that far back).

6. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    So I liked it, but maybe not as much as I wished I would. It has that certain derivative CW patina about it, and a little of that goes a long way.

I like the cast a lot, and the story, but the writing is a little hackey. Greg Berlanti has produced very good shows (including Arrow for the CW), and very bad shows, and very good shows that devolved into very bad shows (Brothers and Sisters comes to mind). So the show has a shot, and has promise. Let's hope it begins realizing that quickly. This was a solid single to right, but only triples and homers can support a show for it to last the entire season.

7. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    I watched it last night

I liked the cast and special effects

I'm not sure about the story line, though.

And don't like the title...have the Ziggy Marley song stuck in my head now.

I'll be watching it. Good enough so far.

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Watched it with my 8 year old daughter. We enjoyed it. Definitely a CW type show. But now I can watch SHIELD and Tomorrow People with her.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DBSTalk mobile app

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We watched it. My wife said it reminded her of "Roswell" without any prompting from me. It was a pilot done the way most pilots are done today - cram in a lot of story arcs to get things started. But it has a surprising supporting cast. I liked the premise of the show and hope it will grow a bit of an audience so they can give it more than one season.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I didn't even know about the show but happened to be watching that channel in the slot before. Ended up setting up a series link before the show was over. If the remainder of the episodes go this route it will definitely keep me interested. There are a lot of story lines available to the writers and the cast did a good job of selling it.

11. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I am liking this show, and didn't have to get drunk to watch it.... J/K :)

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Re: J/K ... So you didn't like the show or you did have to get drunk to watch it?

13. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I'm still laughing @ this question.... :rolling: Loved the show.. Joking about being drunk.... :)

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I've watched all the episodes so far...it's OK but whay are all the tomorrow people the same age? Where are the older people? Have they ALL been captured/killed by the bad guys? Did this phenomenon just start fairly recently? Maybe these questions will get answered.

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure the reason all of the Tomorrow People are so young is because it's being shown on the CW network - nothing more, nothing less.

1 person likes this.
  16. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    There's an answer I can't argue with.

Some questions are just not worth asking, especially if they mess with your ability to suspend disbelief.

My suggestion would be to just not be concerned about how old they are and why, and just go with it. But true, if they were all 45, or 65, or were all 22 but not super good looking, it probably would not have been green-lit.

That said, I feel it is consistently good, and gets better with each ep. It's a must-see for me. If I really try, I still can't find much wrong here. I sure hope the little girl who got shot survives, she's kind of the "Felicity Smoak" character in this one, or at least has the potential to be that type of character (and Felicity is what makes Arrow better than it otherwise would be).

17. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm enjoying it. It is just another variation of what the next human species would be like. With just the jumping that's truly unbelievable for even next ten future human species.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Oh, and I read today, that all three new CW shows been picked up for the whole year.

19. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I have 4 shows I watch with my daughter, and this is one of them. It is the one she asks the least questions during as well!

We watch: The Tomorrow People
    Agents of Shield
    The Middle
    Once Upon a Time

20. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Maybe a little too quick into the love triangle area. Both Cara and Stephen seem to have not even the minimal amount of respect for her relationship with John. It makes me like both characters less.

Irene made a miraculous recovery. I'm happy, but she seemed to bounce back a little too easily, not very realistic, even in Sci-Fi, where the realistic stuff should be even that more realistic, actually. But I like that character and want to see a lot more of her.