1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Good To Be True Upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RPD Hockey, Jun 12, 2011.

1. RPD Hockey

RPD Hockey New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm a first time DirecTV customer and just had service installed last week. I got the Whole-Home DVR service with one HR-24 DVR in my living room and a H24 receiver in the bedroom. I have several HTPC's around the house and am using DirecTV2PC software on them in the other rooms.

With this setup, I quickly learned that 2 DVR's would benefit my situation, as I could do 2 remote streams at once. Anyway, the current promotion I signed up under allowed for a free HD-DVR and a free HD receiver or another discounted ($99 instead of %199) HD-DVR.

So, I called up DirecTV and told them my situation. The CSR told me that I was entitled to a "Customer Correction" upgrade and that they would swap out my HD receiver with a HD-DVR for FREE. I told them that I should owe them $100 for the receiver, but they assured me that the upgrade was free and that the installer would also come out for free, since I was a new customer just starting the service. However, the one CSR said this would extend my contract one week and the other said it would not. The contract really isn't an issue and they both assured me that my rate would stay the same.

Anyway, this sounds almost too good to be true. I was wondering what you veterans thought about this and if there was something I was overlooking. BTW, I scheduled them to come out on Tuesday to do this upgrade.

Also, I went though a local dealer for my first install and they only carried HR/H 24's. I realize that going through DirecTV that I could get whatever they give me. I had the CSR put a note on the order that I wanted an HR-24. Also, I have an old high school friend that I recently came in contact with who could maybe hook me up with a HR 24 if I asked him. I'm being lazy here, but in a nutshell, is the HR 24 substantially better than the prior HR-23/22/21 models?

In closing, I was wondering if anyone heard of this type of "Customer Correction" upgrade before and do you think I should really push for the HR24.

Thanks.

2. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    Personally I have never seen anything of this sort, but as long as you can get it in writing(or email form works) and everything matches up I would say you got a phenominal deal. You are correct to assume that this would come with a $100 charge but maybe there is some kind of credit option that was available to the agent and they chose to use it on someone who was obviously willing to spend the $100 without a fight. Hopefully this is the case..
    As for the model #s, I personally don't notice the difference myself with the HR23/22s that I've used and my HR24 but I have heard some people mention the speed difference between them. Otherwise, they are pretty much functionally equal

3. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Remember directv does not promise any receiver model. Just because it's noted does not mean you will get a hr24

4. RPD Hockey

RPD Hockey New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I just got a "Your New Receiver Upgrade Order Confirmation" email from DirecTV with a confirmation number and "DirecTV Plus HD DVR" as the listed upgrade. Price shows $0.00! I'm pretty happy with that. Fingers crossed that I get a HR-24.....whole thing still sounds too good to be true.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That what all D* HDDVR Receivers are called-Good luck maybe the installer will have a 24 on the truck? just remember to ask before he opens the box.:)

6. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I realize people want the newest and latest and we have been through it a billion times (not trying to rehash anything), but since the receiver is going in a bedroom and is just feeding the Drectv2PC's I wouldnt worry too much about the DVR model. When playing stuff on my laptop I havent found a difference in accessing a DVR between models. (and my HR23 is a dog!)

7. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Legend

Jul 25, 2003
    I had a similar situation only it's been several months since I (re)started my service. The CSR said "it's June, we can give away just about anything" So I got a free HD DVR because I love the idea of being able to record two more streams at once and having 50 more series. I wonder if they have a competition going on or something. :D

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The first thing you'll notice about an HR23 is that it doesn't feature DECA so you'll need to buy a DECA adapter to go with or run an Ethernet cable to it.

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I know. I have an HR23 and it has a DECA adapter on it. I was just saying that I didnt notice the difference in speed when pulling shows from a DVR. Using the DVR is slow as molasses but accessing content remotely seems to be the same regardless of which DVR I am getting it from.

10. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    Yes order "correction" upgrades can be done at no extra charge if done within the first 14 days (although I've personally seen them done up to a month). They are normally at NO cost. If there is a cost it is required UP FRONT. Since no credit card payments were taken your order would be at 0 dollars. As far as the model that is not guaranteed.

My comments and opinions are that of my own and not that of DirecTV.

11. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    June is the time to do upgrades this year ;) ;) hint hint

Again, my comments and opinions are my own and not that of DirecTV.

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Since whole home is already on the account I'd expect a DECA to be included if the model is not an HR24.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    June must be the magic month!

I got my free second HD-DVR a year ago without even asking. I called about another matter and the CSR said I was "eligible" for a second DVR.

14. matrixj3

matrixj3 AllStar

Jul 12, 2009
    I just got the a FREE HR-24 DVR with free install just yesterday!

My 2 year subscription was up so they offered the free dvr...

But 3 weeks before my sub was up i called and i would of had to pay $15 for the upgrade..i have reffered about 8 friends and have paid on time for the two years...the rep said that directv takes refferals and paying on time into consideration when doing the freebie stuff.

In the past year some of the other freebies that they offered were free starz, showtime, free HD pack for 3 months and free sports pak also or 3 months and the starz/sho 12.99.

I call once a month just to see what promos are available to me.

15. matrixj3

matrixj3 AllStar

Jul 12, 2009
    Almost forgot..i hooked up my cousin as a new customer referral and he also got an HR-24DVR!

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    It's amazing the things that can happen when you pay your bill ontime and have been a customer for a very long time.