1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 Reasons To Use an HR20 With an Standard Definition (SD) TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Milominderbinder2, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 25
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    10. Same monthly mirroring/lease cost of $4.99 either way.
    9. Media Share plays photos and music from your PC.
    8. Start the 24 month commitment now to be able to upgrade in 24 months.
    7. Be ready when you upgrade the TV to HD.
    6. Not all HD channels are available in SD.
    5. DIRECTV on Demand (Video on Demand)
    4. SWM (Single Wire Mutliswitch) compatible
    3. 200 hours SD storage capacity.
    2. Get the HR20 for a really low price. (Reports from the front lines.)
    1. The HD channels show the full letterbox the SD channels cut off.

Bonus reasons!
    Have the same user interface throughout your house.
    ATSC OTA and OTA subchannels
    eSATA drive option
    HR20 CE program is the flagship program
    Picture quality of an HD channel on an SD set is better that satellite SD.

Note:
    1. You only pay the monthly HD fee once for your household so if you already have HD, you don't have to pay it again.

This is a work in progress. Please add your comments and ideas to the thread and I will get them added in.

- Craig

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 25
    Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    If I'm watching an SD TV the speed difference on the R15 over th HR20 would win me over hands down. Why wait a half an hour to change channels or 2 days to navigate the guide when I can do it in a 10th of the time with a good ol R15. Thats just me though.

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 25
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you are using an HD receiver on an SDTV, you can set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and choose Letter, Crop, or Stretch on HD channels. SD channels remain 4:3. When it's set to crop (assuming there's no super crop bug involved) the HD channels have about the same cropping as their SD counterparts.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 25
    GP245

GP245 Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Am I missing something?

To get an HR20 while using it for SD, won't you have to pay an additional fee,
    beyond the monthly mirroring/lease fee, for HD service?

Won't Direct demand that?

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 25
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes you will have to pay a HD fee. But this is for if you already have a HR20 and paying the HD fee you are better off getting a 2nd HR20 instead of a R15.

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 25
    oakwcj

oakwcj Lower Echelon

Sep 28, 2006
    What's a Standard Definition TV and why would I want one? If I had one, why would I ever want to watch it if I had an HDTV?

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 25
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    I can only imagine the nightmare that DIRECTiVo users have gone through...

But for people who had other products like the Sony SAT-T60, they are blazingly fast, as fast as the fastest non-DVR receiver.

The HR20 still just limps along with channel changes and Guide screen redraws.

I wish everyone with a DIRECTiVo could see what is possible with an old Sony.

- Craig

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 25
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I had a T-60 for 4 years. I would have never considered it fast, not even close. Man the please wait when reordering season passes would sit for 5-10 minutes easy. I was almost happy when it finally died and got an R10 which was quite a bit faster.

But just this week we switched over to the R10 to get it ready to record SD backups of the fall shows and man I couldn't believe how slow it was compared to the HR20. S S S S L L L L O O O O W W W W

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 25
    MJMason1

MJMason1 Cool Member

Jun 7, 2007
    If I cancel my HD programming package only, does DirecTV expect me to return / replace my HR20's with SD devices?

IMHO logic dictates they would just let me to continue to use the HR20's without the HD programming activated on my account.

10. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    If I remember correctly when researching my first HD box D* charges the $9.99 access fee as long as you have an HD receiver on your account, so in short the only way to get rid of fee is get rid of HD boxes.

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, Rakul! :welcome_s

Cheers,
    Tom

12. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Here are some other reasons that didn't make the top 10 in no particular order.

1) Pick up ATSC OTA subchannels. TheTube Network, WeatherPlus are decent channels.
    2) Can add additional storage with ESATA drive
    3) Possibility of MRV if you have multiple HR20s if/when they add this feature.
    4) We have more CEs for HR20s than SD DVRs
    5) Not sure if this one still true.. less issues with HR20 than HR15?

13. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007

Lol,I dont know what hr20 you have but mine is not slow if a finger snap is too long to wait then the hr20 is not for you.

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    One plus that has been overlooked, IMHO, it the picture quality of an HD channel on an SD set. Outstanding, no SD compression loss.

15. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Main reason for me: The HR20 is the main-stream leading edge DVR for D*.

All new features come to the HR20 first. Probably MRV will come to the HR20 first. Would never get any other D* DVR no matter the TV type.

16. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    Graig,
    forgive if i'm wrong on my assumption. (never used the R15) the HR20 has a 14day guide, does the R15 have the same advance guide cache size? if not that might be a added bonus for people as well.

17. Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious Legend

Feb 9, 2006
    The R15 also has the 14 day guide.

18. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Bingo. Dunno how the OP missed that. Even for running out to a DVD recorder, I'd rather record and watch the 480i conversion of a HD channel than what DirecTv spews forth on their SD channels.

19. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    Thanks for letting me know, like i said i wasn't for sure or not in my previous post.

20. brianphill

brianphill New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I am getting an upgrade to an HR20 for just the $19 shipping charge - I have an SD TV, but want to go HD in the next 6-12mo, and I'm doing this as part of Movers Connection, and if I'm committing to a 2 yr contract as part of the movers package, I want to be ready for HD when upgrading the TV.

Anyhow, I specifically asked the CSR if I needed to pay the HD fee if I don't want the HD programming. He said after the HR20 is installed, the HD fee will automatically be added to my bill, but all I'd need to do is call and have them remove the HD fee and programming, and can still receive all the regular SD channels. Guess we'll see what happens after the install...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.