1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top cut off in 1080i fomats

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wtrax, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2006 #1 of 16
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    I'm not sure what component this is an issue with but the information banner at the top of my display is cut off in all of the 1080i formats. It's annoying because it is right through the channel number. My previous Hughes HIRD-E8 didn't seem to have this issue. My TV is a Toshiba 50HX81 with component inputs connected. Does anyone know what might be causing this? The 480i and 480p displays fine.

2. Nov 4, 2006 #2 of 16
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Does 720p display ok too? It's only the top cut off and not the bottom? How is the HR20 connected to the TV?

3. Nov 4, 2006 #3 of 16
    matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    double-check your tv settings. you probably have some sort of "zoom" mode enabled.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #4 of 16
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006

Overscan, it might be adjustable in your TV or you might be SOL.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #5 of 16
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    TV's not capable of 720p, and yes just the top. I noticed that if I use a stationary picture (paused), then cycle the formats the stretch and pillar block appear to have the same amount of the source showing but when I go to crop it looks like the bottom of the source is cropped and not the top. I'm connected via component.

My TV doesn't have zoom modes for 1080i signals only 480i/p signals.

I hope not SOL. Like I said, I never had the problem with the previous HD receiver. Could be the banner position though (lower on the old receiver).

6. Nov 4, 2006 #6 of 16
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    No 720P, you must be using a CRT system. It smells like to much overscan in your display.

If it is too much over scan, this may be adjustable it might require service menu access, and that is not for the weak of heart. Good luck, you might try finding a forum like AVSforum.com where someone might know more about your display.

7. Nov 4, 2006 #7 of 16
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    No 720p? Huh? :eek2:

Sounds like an issue with the TV not fully supporting 1080i or a possible overscan issue? Have you ever ran 1080i into this TV before?

8. Nov 4, 2006 #8 of 16
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    It's about a five or six year old CRT RPTV. I had a Huges HIRD-E8 high definition receiver hooked up to it for maybe three or four years and never noticed this. I figure either there is something strange going on with the HR20 or the banner was low enough on the old receiver that it was completely displayed. I'm thinking about hooking that back up but I'll probably have access card issues trying that. As suggested above I'm looking into trying to improve the overscan through the TV's service menu. I'll post my successes or failures with that.

9. Nov 4, 2006 #9 of 16
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    After reading a little about these service menu tweaks, I'm not sure I've got the guts to start messing around with that. What I have been reading doesn't say anthing about being input specific, does that mean that if I'm overscanning in 1080i I should be in the 480 modes as well?

10. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    You might ask a few questions over at AVSforum there might be a geek there with the experience with you display to help better. Like I said, the service menus are not for the weak of heart, particularly on CRT displays.

Overscan is normal, but if you have too much overscan you are loosing content, it might not be a problem in 480 mode, it might be only a problem in 1080i because it is changing the scan frequency in the CRT.

11. RCinFLA

RCinFLA Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    There are different scan rates for various resolution settings. Newer HD sets and computer multi-scan monitors can take the different scan rates.

A old NTSC CRT type TV is not likely to take anything other 480i.

12. mckeemike505

mckeemike505 AllStar

May 11, 2006
    My tv has the ability in the menu to move the entire picture up or down inside one of the menus does your have any kind of option like this. Mine was cutting off the bottom of the guide. Just the guide picture was fine.

Mike

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    before you'll start changing those parameters, create a table with names and old values just in case :)

14. wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    Apparently it was an overscan issue. A little tip-toeing through the service menu, and things are looking great. Strange I never noticed it before with my previous HD receiver, I really made a big adjustment and it appears there was a large amount of display cut off. There is probably a four inch gap between where it used to be cut off to the edge of the screen now. Who knows what I have missed.

Thanks for the help and advice!!

15. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Glad it worked out for you. Those service menus are fun, eh?

16. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I have been slightly tempted to play around with the service menu options on my TV, but I haven't really had a need to go into them. Plus I'm fairly concerned that I'll majorly fubar something in there... :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.