1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Torchwood: Miracle Day

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by The Merg, Sep 20, 2013.

1. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, I just found out that BBCA must have gotten the rights to the 4th season that had aired on Starz. They aired the first episode on 9/14, but it is available on VOD. I was upset when Starz dropped its support of Netflix and this season never made it there. Glad to see that I can finally watch it.

- Merg

Posted via IP.Board

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Must be in SD, no? I really don't like the way On Demand works with non-movie channels. Seems as if each show is in SD unless it's a premium movie channel. Or am I wrong? I'd like to be wrong.

Rich

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    BBCA had the rights all along. It was a joint production between Starz, BBC and BBCA. BBCA's VOD is only SD though. :(

There are some non premium channels with HD content in VOD.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't use On Demand much, I'll have to look again.

Rich

5. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I watched some of it on Stars and was not impressed.

6. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I recorded it on starz when it first aired and I wasn't either.
    Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

7. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    From someone who watched it, I can tell you that I recommend you not waste your time. It is wretched! Those were hours of my life wasted. :( If you want to, go ahead, but don't have your hopes set too high. As good as Children of the Earth was, Miracle Day was the polar opposite.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

Sorry. I was referring to the air rights. I'm assuming that Starz had the exclusive air rights for a while. A&E is one of the non-premium channels that has VOD in HD.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    From someone who watched it, I can tell you that I recommend you not waste your time. It is wretched! Those were hours of my life wasted. :( If you want to, go ahead, but don't have your hopes set too high. As good as Children of the Earth was, Miracle Day was the polar opposite.

Man... Well, since I won't set my heights too high, hopefully, it won't be too bad for me then.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That figures. A&E also puts its content on NetFlix.

Rich

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    In my opinion, Torchwood started out gangbusters, and each permutation along the way got progressively worse. The one constant shining star is that Gwen Cooper is such a hoot; that is one helluva girl, and I wish she would move to LA and get some work. Speaking as a Welshman, she does us proud.

I think once they killed off most of the Scooby gang things started to deteriorate. Burn Gorham (now an oily thug on Revenge) also played a great character and he really tore it up, but once they got to that is he dead...is he not dead state, it was hard to keep the writing fresh and it began to collapse under its own weight.

I found Children... to be a tedious storyline, if interesting, and the Miracle Day storyline, also interesting, was even worse. Still, I found it watchable, if only for Gwen Cooper, but it just was not up to the high standards of the original series. The only thing that improved along the way was John Barrowman's acting; he started out pretty terrible, but by now he has built up some chops and is pretty good. I also thought the set decoration for their original underground lair was pretty inspired.

The one thing no one can deny about Torchwood is that it was never predictable, because it was anything but that. It was very unique and you never knew what was coming next; anything could happen. If they could recapture some of that old mojo I would kill for another season, but the way things have been with it lately, probably good that it has been put out of its misery.

Trivia Q: what is Torchwood an anagram for?

12. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Doctor Who

13. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Okay, in what Doctor Who episode was Torchwood first referenced?

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Bad Wolf

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    You guys might be even nerdier than me.

16. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Yes! Ding! Ding! The first reference to Torchwood in Doctor Who was by the "robot" named Ann-Droid, who asked a contestant a question. The answer was Torchwood. Bad Wolf was episode 1.12.